Friday, February 24, 2006

Followup on Private Journals Rostering

Hi folks -- I just wanted to follow up on the Private Journals Rostering problem from earlier in the week. In short, the main issue was fixed; however, people who created new Private Journals during the time it was being fixed may still be seeing a problem.

Here's what happened (all this is info from our admins, by the way, I don't actually know this stuff): All of our databases have a primary side and a replicate side; the replicate side is kind of like a backup -- the primary and replicate usually live in different data centers, and production traffic points to one at a time.

If there's a problem with the primary side, they can switch over to the replicate side, which should be identical. This is known as a failover.

In our case, one of the indexes for the primary side of the rostering database was corrupted. (Rostering is the process by which we can tell who can or can't do something, such as who is allowed to read your private Journal).

The index was still okay on the replicate side, so they failed-over to the replicate side, which fixed the problem.

Now, if you created your Private Journal after the index got corrupted but before the failover fixed things, you might still be having a problem trying to manage your Private Journal's roster.

This shouldn't affect very many people; for those it does, the best thing to do would probably be to recreate your entries in a new Private Journal, which you can delete and recreate if you want to keep the name. I realize it's kind of a pain, though presumably you would only have a couple of entries to cut and paste.

The tech folks are taking a look to see what happened to corrupt the primary side's index in the first place, to try to keep this from happening again.

Hope some of this was useful info. Thanks -- Joe

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My journal was not "just created"--it's been around for awhile.  Will I still need to create a new journal or is there anything that can be done to it to get it to open as it did before for my friends?  

Anonymous said...

Hi...I will have to ask the tech folks to take a look -- you say your Journal has been around a while -- has it always been private, or did you switch it to private recently?

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
I started my public journal in 1/05 and went private about 4 mos. ago.  I made a post Friday and yesterday.  I received emails from my readers they weren't able to get in.  I tried going in to manage readers but its says journals unavailable, try again later.  I have no problem getting into my journal but my readers do.  Am I going to have to re-create a new one?  Thanks for your help.  Dana
http://journals.aol.com/rainy35/BamaSweetiePiesWeightlossJournal

Anonymous said...

I have not heard anything back since I wrote that I had not changed anything in my journal--which I haven't.  There are 4 of us that have been doing journaling and two that were out first and have been fixed.  After those two were fixed, the other two went out and are still out--friends cannot open them.  Nothing has been changed in those last two journals, just like nothing was changed in the two journals that were out at first.  After you fixed those two journals, the other two went out--and nothing was changed in them.  What is going on here?  Can this be fixed or do we have to start all over with our journals--why can't ours be fixed like the first two were fixed?????  (Hope you can understand what I'm saying here.)
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks sooo much for stopping by my journal & leaving a nice comment!  ;0)
Hope you got to visit the other two also!
Come again anytime, love company!
Blessings,
SUGAR
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/SUGARSLIFE/
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/MYBELOVEDFURRBABIES/
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/PRAYING4U/

Anonymous said...

Hi folks -- I've asked the Journals tech folks to keep following up on your Private Journals problems -- I will post any updates I get. Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
Just letting you know people still can't get into my private journal.  Am I going to have to start a new one?  Dana
http://journals.aol.com/rainy35/BamaSweetiePiesWeightLossJournal

Anonymous said...

Hi -- the tech folks are still working on this one -- it involves comparing databases and indexes and such. Since you do have a fair amount of entries, I would suggest holding out until we get it fixed, though it's up to you. I will keep posting as we get info.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)