Friday, September 5, 2008

Guest Editor Entry - If I'm Elected I Promise ...

When I opened the email inviting me to be a Guest Editor here on AOL, I stopped mid-mouse click.  What??!  Me?! The unmasked super
hero of dust bunnies?  I froze.  Was my little journal prepared for
national scrutiny? I thought it needed to grow more, mature as it were,
but now was my time, ready or not. 


Not one given to hyperbole, I immediately
identified with how the Republicans and Democrats must have felt as
they set about preparing for the 2008 Election. So much to do, so
little time.


I looked around at the venue I have created.  No need to change the style or format of my journal.  I was feeling patriotic when I created Dust Bunny Protector in 2005 and I am still proud to be wrapped in the red, white and blue.  You were expecting perhaps a pink palette with bunny wallpaper?


Next, I had to consider my platform.  I opted for a drama free journal and I try to avoid entries regarding politics and religion. Not that I do not have an opinion!  I do, but I try to keep my little DPB Journal a "happy place."  My private journal That's What She Said... and Did is another matter and, like many politicians, I have secrets I need to keep hidden, and this is the perfect place to vent.


I then checked around
my journal to make certain it was ready for visitors and the potential
negative scrutiny by the press.  I clicked on all my sidebar links to see if they had joined that infamous NLA
party.  You've heard of them, I'm sure - No Longer Active.  Actually, I
did leave a few links there for journals that are no longer actively
updated but what was written previously is still worth reading.


I would encourage
you to check the status of the journals you are "supporting" on your
front page. (Hey, I like my election theme so stick with me.) You might
be surprised at how things have changed.  I removed all journals that
have gone private with
Julie
as the one exception for sentimental reasons. It is very frustrating to
click on Favorite Journals only to find you are barred from reading
what someone else has recommended.  Better yet, add (Private) to the
title to give the rest of us a heads up.


I added new sites I had noted on my own personal travels around J-Land.  It is so easy to add someone's journal to your personal Alerts but never take the time to recommend them to others.  If you find a good blog, tell us about it.  "I am Dust Bunny Protector and I support this journal." 


In the vast world of the blog-o-sphere there are so many, many choices.  And, so, I invite you to check out just some of the note-worthy candidates of the journaling world.  In my opinion, they are dedicated, talented and worthy of your support. 


A front runner in the humor race is Jodi at Dust Bunny Club of North America.  Our journals are not related in spite of the name similarity.  We just both have a keen interest in protecting our little dusty friends


As we approach the election, the debate becomes more heated and you will see the occasional demonstration.  You will likely find protestors marching around Jon's journal, over at Lone Star Concerto as a result of his no-holds-barred
attitude.  Yes, I know he has been featured as an Editor's Pick
recently but I just like how he expresses himself (and I can think of
no one more worthy of being tied to demonstrations than Mr Free Speech
himself!)


For a more moderate approach and an overall enjoyable journal experience, I recommend Koda's Corgi Tales.  Betty has been a long time JLand
journal writer and does a better job at visiting others and leaving
comments than anyone I have seen on AOL. Do not get me wrong.  Betty is
not a politically motivated kiss-the-babies for votes commenter.  She
is sincere.


A journal that has been in my sidebar for years is Katy at the Lunatic Factory.  Her quality performance is consistent and I should leave comments more to let her know I enjoy her writing. 


Now, for the other parties in the race (read: non-AOL journals) that I support, let me introduce Patrick to our new journalers
 If you ever need your mind stretched for ideas on what you can write
about, he is a virtual cornucopia of thought provoking entries. 
Patrick, for those of us who have been around awhile, was a major mover
and shaker here in JLand back when my journal was new.  If you see VIVI
Award logos in some sidebars, you can thank Patrick (and many others)
for dedicating so much time and effort into those annual award
presentations.


So, my fellow Journalers, this is Dust Bunny Protector thanking AOL for the honor to be Guest Editor and humbly soliciting your support ... and your comments.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Job-nice to meet you and some new reads
Congrats!!
connie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/specialadyfink/Anyway...../

Anonymous said...

Congrats...cant wait to start reading
cindi

Anonymous said...

congrats Donna for being guest editor AND THANK YOU from the bottom of my and Koda's hearts for including us in your list of picks; we are honored!! what a privilege to be included with some great journals and such kind words you said of me; thank you very much!!

I'll go over to the other journals this weekend to offer congratulations to them! again, thank you so much!!

betty

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

WOOOOO HOOOOOOOO CONGRATS!!!

Melanie :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Donna!

Thanks so much for thinking of me.  I appreciate the kind words, and I'm always glad to know that I still have visitors from AOL J-land dropping by from time to time.  

Patrick
www.patrickkphillips.com

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO!!!  Congrats!!  And you did a great job!!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

I was astonished and humbled to know that my Lone Star Concerto rants were among your editor's picks! Thank you for thinking of me!      Jon

http://journals.aol.com/jayveerhapsody/LoneStarConcerto/

Anonymous said...

h