Thursday, September 25, 2008

Be Not Afraid!


Open a newspaper or turn on the television and more then likely something on there is going to cause you pause at the very least.


In Bible stories have you noticed whenever an angel appears the first words out of its mouth are "Be Not Afraid!"   Perhaps it's because they startled the unlikely individual to whom they were appearing, or perhaps they are just really scary looking. (I doubt that one!)  My thought is this, the angel knows that it is about to deliver information that will drastically change the persons life.  This change is often very wonderful, however we humans are terrified of change, so this requires the angel to start comforting us right out of the gates. (pun intended)


                  Archangel20Michael1.jpg arch angel Gabriel image by HeavensHero


We fear change because it takes us into the unknown and out of our comfort zone.  It disrupts our life.  It is however at these times that we have our greatest opportunities to learn and grow.  Change can be miserable and uncomfortable yet if you approach it with a good attitude and an open mind, anxiety and anguish can turn into joy and great success.


As a country we are facing some very big changes that are totally unpredictable. To help you find ways to cope with change may I suggest some of the following books:


who-moved-cheese.jpg Who Moved My Cheese? image by reynawiley


Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson M.D.


Taming Your Gremlin by Richard D. Carson: Book Cover


Taming Your Gremlin by Rick Carson 


power_of_now_lrg.jpg The Power of Now image by Jet42


The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle


 


What lies behind us, and what lies before us, are no match for what lies within us.


~Ralph Waldo Emerson.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great book recommendations!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Great Entry!

Hugs, Rose

Roses are Read Journal

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the entry, Rosemary!  

Change does provide us with many new opportunities that help us grow, and is very exciting!  

"Be not afraid" was one of Pope John Paul II's favorite sayings.  

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkritina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I love the Emerson quote....
I have a poster of that in my office......

Anonymous said...

Taming your Gremlin sounds like a good one for me to read! LOL
Thanks.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Is this a sermon or a book review?  I am not open to having Christianity shoved down my throat which is what you've indicted I was going to get a big dose of by reading these books.  There are more than just Christians in JLand and I am a bit offended.  I thought Magic Smoke was a place for ALL JLanders not just Christians.  Bethe

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

as far as I know, none of the books you listed have anything to do with Christianity in fact the Eckhart Tolle book is probably new age if it is anything like that other book that Oprah loved, Good Earth.

there was absolutely NOTHING in this entry Rosemary that had anything to do with Christianity other than you mentioned the Bible; I can't believe some of the comments you got

you gave good advice Rosemary; geesh

betty

Anonymous said...

I read a couple of your comments here.  Tolle is a new age guy, far as I know. More into disciplines that make your life better, not preaching. I think both of those books~Spencer Johnson's I have read, Tolle's only parts(never read any Carson)~are more about not settling for a life you fall into but rather choosing the life you want.  I'm an Atheist, but all for that.
~Mary
http://journals.aol.com/frankandmary/JustMary/

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

re: some of the negative comments. I don't think the entry author's intent was to push a particular religion or religion at all. I imagine she approaches life from a religious or spiritual pov and thus opened with 'what she knew', just as I might open a post with a paragraph about kids or baseball or my industry. In such a public and open forum I think an email to the author woiuld have been more appropriate and kinder than openly critiquing (sp?) her, esp. on a subject as sensitive as religion.

Just my opinion.

Have a great weekend jland

Dan

Anonymous said...

when you post something here
you must want some feedback
otherwise, why wouldn't you
just make an entry
in your own journal?

Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful and encouraging post. Thank you. I LOVE Jesus with all my heart! And I am not going to stand down or back down just because other's do not agree with this message.

Fine, if you are against reading this-then as they say...delete it. No one is forcing your eyes to continue down the page. I do not believe in anything but Jesus words. Therefore if something is posted other than what I believe, I just delete it. Will it stop me from reading other opinions on "Magic Smoke?" No.

I also love "Magic Smoke" for allowing all to share their thoughts and feelings.

No Jesus/No Peace
Know Jesus/Know peace

Blessings~Donna