Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Backing up journals

If you have qualms about the transfer process to Blogger, it might be an idea to invest some time (read: hours or days) in backing up your journals. The procedure below does not take comments along, but at least you have your posts and graphics.

1. Go to the front page of your blog, and click just left of the date stamp on the top entry. Holding your left mouse-button down, drag the mouse cursor to the bottom right of the page. It will automatically scroll to the bottom, you don't need to work the slider yourself. Now press Ctrl-C.

2. Change to your wordprocessing application, which you have opened on a blank page, and press Ctrl-V. Your entry will be copied into the word processor.

3. Return to the journal page and go to the bottom, where it says Older Entries. Click this link. The URL indicator will now change to your journal's URL and the suffix /?page=2.

Repeat points 1 and 2 BUT take care to paste your entries at the TOP, i.e. at the START of your wordprocessing document EACH TIME. Journals entries are listed in reverse chronological order on the site.


If your journal has many entries, this will take a long, long time.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank-you guido, I am off to do this now. mrs txx

Anonymous said...

Oh My God.   I have had my first journal 3 years.  I made a entry everyday and sometimes more.  I am devastated.   I have 4 journals and this is not enough notice to get that done.

                       Julie

Anonymous said...

With four years of entrys I will  be no where done by Octobe 31.    They should have made this announcement in July instead of Septemer 30.  

I am quite irked at the whole handeling of the situation.

Claudia

Anonymous said...

yes, quite a task for someone being here for 5 years.  
Sonya

Anonymous said...

Some while ago I decided to place all my posts as text files offline.
Since that time, whenever I post something, I copy it and paste it
in a readied .txt file offline.  Each section of Sprintedon Hollow has
its own folder.  Example: a particular book of poems has a folder
and each of the poems in that book has a file and each file is then
placed in the folder for it .  Obviously, doing it this way obliterates
all links.  I presently do have 3 blogs at Blogger, but I'm not sure
some of what I was able to do in AOL Journals can be done there.
Also, two of my S H entries have been linked to by a technology
company.  Those 2 entries have links to other sites.  My journal
has 1005 entries.  I could do each section of it as a separate blog
over at Blogger, but I would probably need to make changes.  I
could try Wordpress.  As to my pictures in AOL, they are all in my
My Pictures folder offline as that's where they go when I scan them.
-
From what I read via a Google search, Hometown and AIM will be
discontinued too.  I'm guessing this means my AOL email accounts
will also disappear.  If that is so, what do I do with all my saved
emails?  I'm reluctant to start a gmail account.  Could start one at
Yahoo! but I really dislike Yahoo!  Don't want one at MSN either.
I believe I can copy my emails and paste them offline.  October's
going to be a busy month, not that I haven't had busy months a
number of times.
-
Thank you, Brian A. J. Salchert  thinkinglizard@aol.com
2008-09-30    

Anonymous said...

Again, thank you for this Guido.  
Lori
http://lori-dustypages.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

thinkinglizard,

Your email accounts will still be around. They are not going to be affected by this.

Vish

Anonymous said...

Can you save your Journals on a MyBook External Hard Drive, if so, I will buy one

Hugs, Rose

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I EMAILED MY ENTRIES TO ME THIS TAKES A LONG TIME BUT IT WORKED AND I was able to save comments , click on the archives date you want to copy once the page is fully loaded go to the comments click view all ,go to  edit , click select all , go to edit click copy and open an email and paste to the body of the email .
hugs
Sherry