Thursday, September 4, 2008

Excitment and Change

                           z125483921.jpg 'It's time for a fresh start' image by ilovehim_2006_2006           


It was the first day of Mrs. Murphy's third grade class.  She thought it would be good to get to know the children before she started teaching so she asked each one of them to come up to the board and draw something that they found exciting.

 

First up was Sally.  Sally walked up to the board, picked up the chalk and quickly drew a ::: U :::.

 

Mrs. Murphy asked "Sally, what do you find exciting about the letter U?"

 

"It's not a U it is a jump rope, I love to jump robe, it is really exciting!"  answered Sally

 

"Very Good Sally, Paul will you come up next?"

 

Paul ran up to the board and quickly drew an ::: O :::.

 

Confused, Mrs. Murphy asked " Paul, why is the letter O exciting?"

 

"Oh, that's not an O it is a basket ball, I love basket ball!  It's my favorite!  It is VERY exciting!!"  Paul replied.

 

"Excellent Paul!  Johnny, it's your turn, will you please come to the board and draw something exciting" Mrs. Murphy requested.

 

Johnny walked to the board and grabbed the chalk tapped it against the board and left nothing but what looked like a dot.

 

Completely puzzled Mrs. Murphy asked "Johnny, what do you find exciting about a dot?"

 

Johnny explained "That is not a dot, it is a period.  My sister has missed three of them, you should see all of the excitement around my house!"

 


                               FunnyStupidSchool.jpg

 


Whether you are going back to school, have children going to school or know someone going to school, there is something exciting about this time of year.

 

I am one of those odd parents that hate when it is time to send the kids back to school, but I still find something alluring about the structure, books, blank notebooks and reams of loose leaf paper. They seem to be screaming loud and clear "New Start! New Year!!"

 

It seems a natural time of year to reflect on new beginnings, a chance to improve and start over.  If you live in an area that has a change of seasons the visual is splendid and it almost seems to urge you on to join in the transformation.

            new-england-fall-foliage.jpg NE foliage image by hezkewl

For those of you new to Magic Smoke each week I offer a "Challenge Yourself Challenge" 

 

                                

This weeks challenge is to revisit your New Years resolutions and consider what you may want to give more attention to.  Share your thoughts below and post a link to your blog/Journal if you would like us to join you on your journey!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

good entry, Rosemary; and cute joke :)

I didn't make too many resolutions this year; one was to lose weight and I have lost 18 pounds so far, thank you Lord

this year I just wanted to grow closer to the Lord and to trust more in him; its a work in process, some days are better than others, but I keep trying and He is faithful so life is good because God is good (all the time :)

enjoy the day :)

betty

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

The beginning of the school year IS my "new year" time, i.e., when we make any reflections and new ways of doing things in our home.  We dont' make resolutions per se, but if so, this would be the time of year for them, for us.

One goal we have is to figure out how to best keep my freshman daughter organized in her new high school.  So far, so good, so yeah! but it is a struggle.

Anonymous said...

I think the idea behind encouraging us to revisit our New Year's resolutions was excellent.  I guess I am an old stick in the mud but I did not think this joke was appropriate for the Magic Smoke Journal.  I think of Magic Smoke as being the professional, business side of AOL Journals and that joke would be better suited to an individual's journal and not the "face" of JLand.  Just my opinion.

Donna

Anonymous said...

That was such a cute story! LOL
I din't make a new years resolution this year.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Donna made a good point...

Anonymous said...

I never made Resolutions.  ha ha....I don't have to feel bad about being a slacker.  

(I don't mind the whole back to school thing, since mine are homeschooled.  Now the neighborhood is quiet.  Haa....I'm SO sociable, right?  Meh.)

~Amy

Anonymous said...

I SO agree with you.  I am not really that thrilled the kids are going back to school and I think I am suffering from "the end of the summer blues!"

I need a big challenge.....I need to get my butt in gear!!

((hugs))
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

lol I loved the story it was great and I am going to challenge myself a lot the next few months I hope .
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Well, it wasn't a New Years Resolution but I found my brother after 20 years and I am visiting him in South Carolina in October.... That is really EXCITING!!!

Tawnya

Anonymous said...

Being a retired teacher, this adorable story brings back fond memories.
Thanks for sharing.  

As for the resolution, family obligations have prevented me from doing more for myself and less for the family.  It may be seen as an excuse to not change, and that is the challenge, isn't it?  I did say "no" a few times in the past 9 months and that felt good.

Karen
http://journals.aol.com/howiseeit101/how-i-see-it/

Anonymous said...

As of Jan. 08 I did quit smoking after 20 plus years and was doing great until the month of April rolled around. I started smoking again and although I'm only smoking like three a day vs. the pack a day I was is still very disheartening to me. I am going to my Doctor this week and am getting back on the Chantix pill which seemed to help me quit before. If I did it once, I know I "WILL" do it again and for good this time around!!!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

hi rosemary, i don't make resolutions anymore, i keep breaking them!lol
take care mrs t xx