Thursday, March 9, 2006

JLMK

Hi folks -- nothing too substantive today. I promise I'll have something more useful Friday, in addition to the Guest Editor's Picks.

In the meantime, here's a snippet from the tail-end of an IM conversation I had this morning with a cow-orker (names redacted to protect the innocent):

[JournalsEditor]:  ok, jlmk
[Cow-Orker]:  will do
[JournalsEditor]:  (do people actually use "jlmk"?)
[Cow-Orker]:  I don't know but I actually understood it when you sent it...strange!

Of course, I meant "just let me know" when I typed "jlmk." I was trying to be clever, but I did a search, and it does have a listing in the Free Dictionary, among other places.

It's a little awkward to type, which may be why it hasn't gained wider usage (this online chat acronym dictionary categorizes it as "Commonly used? No.")

It's certainly no wayw, yt, or j/k. Not even a bbiab.

TTYL. Thanks -- Joe

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it that I feel the need to say:

R U 4 r33l?

;)

Charley
http://journals.aol.com/CDittric77/Courage

Anonymous said...

JLMK was easy to figure out, and of course I've seen j(ust)/k(idding) a lot. The others are complete mysteries to me, despite the fact that I've been online since the early 1990s.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the dictionary link. It's pretty embarrasing when you ask your 12 year old daughter what a MILF is, and she tells you.

Anonymous said...

For the uninitiated, WAYW is the old-fashioned "What Are You Wearing?" (or so I hear), YT is "You There?" (a typical IM "ping" message), as noted, JK is "Just Kidding" and "BBIAB" is "Be Back in a Bit."

Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe,
thanks! very informative!
natalie