Tuesday, March 7, 2006

Current Reading

Just like many aspects of my life currently, my bookshelves are a disaster, so I will focus on a subset of blogger John's latest Blog Photo Shoot, Your Bookshelf:

Library Books

These are the current batch of books that I have out from my local library. (Libraries are like chain megabookstores, though you don't have to pay for stuff. They're neat.) -- they are:

  • Emergence, by Steven Johnson (I'm reading it now -- it's about how complex behaviors and patterns can emerge from groups of individuals following simple instruction sets; a couple of examples so far include the behaviors of ant nests and slime molds)
  • Warrior Politics, by Robert Kaplan
  • The New Face of War, by Bruce Berkowitz

  • Thanks -- Joe

    8 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Has the font used when making comments in all AOL journals changed somehow?

    Anonymous said...

    intersting books Joe
    love ,natalie

    Anonymous said...

    The books sound interesting ~ Thanks for the heads up.
    Dianna

    Anonymous said...

    You're such a man. LOL

    Anonymous said...

    I remember libraries...

    don't they have chairs there?


    And computers?

    Anonymous said...

    John, Love reading your veiw of things.You make me (LOL)and smile alot.I"m reading IN THE COMPANY OF SOLDIERS by Rick Atkinson, also a freebee-neato.In his book,Rick cleared up a puzzling question in my mind.You see, one of the first things journalists were told by the pentagon was to never gige the thumbs up sign. OK it means something foul and horrible over there. Well back in november my son john sent a picture of himself after being hit with an IED. He was sandblasted head to toe, his beautiful green eyes sparkling through the dirt. his lovely teeth although they had gone thru his lip were grinning ear to ear,and his thumb in a high salute.Which now i know isn't signaling "mom, I'm OK"

    Anonymous said...

    Hi -- Just to clarify: I'm Joe. Here is John: http://journals.aol.com/johnmscalzi/bytheway/entries/5607

    I wasn't quite sure who you were trying to reach.

    Thanks -- Joe

    Anonymous said...

     u have a taste nd thinking , u know about passion  which is u have also, i want to c some more breif    thanks sidhu