Thursday, June 7, 2007

William Hung Makes an Appearance at the AOL Developers Conference?

Hi folks -- so the AOL Developers Conference was pretty good, even for a non-techie like me (though I don't think we'll ever match the level of, say, Steve Ballmer's now-legendary performance at a Microsoft developer conference in 2001).

Tomorrow, I'll talk more about the keynote address, which was given by Don Tapscott, author of the book Wikinomics -- it was very interesting, and chock-full of quotes.

For now, though, I just want to share a photo from CTO Balan Nair's intro; during his intro, he talked a little about AOL Labs, including their Celebrity Look-Alike project.

As I blogged earlier, I suggested that their matching algorhythm might need some work, since I don't think I look particularly like William Hung.

Apparently, I was right, since here's a picture of Balan Nair:

And here is his look-alike results page (he's on the right):

On the left side is Barry Appelman, who looks even less like William Hung. So I think their matching engine may have a William Hung bias.

[Update, 6/15: OK, the Labs folks let me know that the above results were doctored up as a joke. I missed the joke. See my followup blog entry for more info, and see the AOL Labs Celebrity Look-Alikes blog for the real results and more.]

Thanks -- Joe

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe ,my alerts are back ,but I am just getting an envelope,with no details of what it is, no date etc ..love Jan xxhttp://journals.aol.co.uk/jeadie05/Serendipity/

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, I'm not sure where to post this question so I am going to take a chance and post it here.  I have a lovely piece of music that I would like to put onto my journal.  I don't know how to do it.  I have uploaded it to my FTP space here on AOL.  I just need to know how to get it into my journal.  I would like it to play each time someone opens my page.  Is it possible for you to let me know how I can possibly do this?
Thanks!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Marie -- I haven't embedded music in my blog (and most likely never will), but I've written about it, when some folks had problems when they upgraded to Internet Explorer 7.0:
http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/2006/12/15/having-problems-with-embedded-music-playing/1849

A few folks have done tutorials on how to embed background music, including:

http://journals.aol.com/onestrangecat/OneSummersDay/entries/2006/09/18/adding-music-to-your-journal/1705

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)