Tuesday, June 5, 2007

New: Journal Titles in Subjects of E-Mailed New Entry & Comment Added Alerts

Well, we're just full of surprises today: I was just looking at the e-mailed New Entry Alert I received for my last moblogged entry (Yes, I subscribe to my own New Entry alert. No, I'm not a narcissist -- it's for testing purposes.) -- when I noticed a slight change to the subject line:

Instead of just saying "AOL Journals New Entry Alert", the subject line of the New Entry Alert e-mail now includes the name of the Journal from whence it came: "AOL Journals New Entry Alert ("AOL Journals: Magic Smoke")"

[Update: This is also true for your Comment Added Alerts. This will be useful if you have multiple Journals.]

I checked with the Alerts team -- this is definitely a new feature, and it's here to stay.

It's a little enhancement we requested a long time ago; Matt from the Alerts team says that it had  been kicking around in the development environment for a while, so they finally added it in.

I asked Matt if the Alerts folks have any other surprises for us in the works -- he says that they don't have anything else cooking right now. I'll let you know if that changes (that is, assuming I know about it, myself).

Thanks -- Joe

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Haha...  I just emailed you about that.  I think it's pretty nifty.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

I noticed that!  I LIKE it!  Good surprise to have.

Anonymous said...

So now if we get alot of alerts ,we can save the best till last ,like the icing on the cake lol ...thankyou I like it ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I noticed a few of mine have it & others don't...hopefully they'll catch up & all will have it later today!
I like it, TY to the team.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!!!  Woo-Hoo!!!

Anonymous said...

That is indeed one of my wishes granted, TY to the team, Joe :-)

Anonymous said...

I just have come in and noticed that. It's pretty cool. Helen

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I like it!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!  I like it!

Anonymous said...

Love this feature...thanks guys!
Hugs,
Terri

Anonymous said...

really like it!!! thank you

Deb

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I love the name of the journals in the subject line!!  Thank you AOL!

Anonymous said...

I like the name but it doesn't say subject which is really what a subject line should be about. They have it so long already. They could shorten up the beginning maybe just Journal Alert, do I need to know it is from AOL...come on I won't forget. could be JA: New or JA: Comment then the name & then a bit of subject. Or the subject could be when you just place your arrow on the highlighted entry & it gives you the subject (being title) of the journal entry. Just needs to be cleaned up & a bit better.

Anonymous said...

Lori,

If you like, you can always change your Journal's address (URL) -- see my entry here (which is also linked from my main page sidebar):

http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/2006/03/28/go-ahead-change-your-journals-address/1235

Keep in mind that if you do, any direct links to entries using the old URL will redirect to your Journal's main page, and not to the entry.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

Psychfun: Because entry titles can be so long, they probably wouldn't be a good fit for e-mail subject lines (you have to take into account the limitations of varying e-mail systems, plus the length of the Journal title, which can be pretty long by itself).

If you want to be able to preview subject lines, your best bet would probably be using a feedreader to keep track of new blog entries.

Thanks -- Joe