Friday, June 22, 2007

Get a Webcam, Then Get Better Video From That Webcam

So I've gotten a few questions from folks who are interested in getting started with webcam videoblogging.

First, Get a Webcam
*********************************
The Userplane Webrecorder makes it easy to get the video into your Journal, but first, you need to have a webcam.

Webcams can be pretty cheap if you look around and are willing to wait for the right sale or rebate. For most videoblogging purposes, you probably won't need to worry too much about features and quality; it's really all about price point and compatibility. (Of course, there are plenty of reviews online if you need a specific feature.)

Don't forget to keep an eye out on your preferred
bargain Web sites
(most of which have customizable e-mail and RSS feed
alerts).


My own webcam here at the office is a Logitech that I inherited (thus, free) -- though it's probably around 10 bucks on eBay by now.

Also, some digital cameras can be used as webcams, though you may need special cables or software -- do your research online if you want to try this.

Then, Get Better Video From Your Webcam
*******************************************
I'm not a video expert by any means, so I was glad when photoblogger Steven posted about this item last month in the Journals Message Board -- it's a blog entry entitled "How to Improve Your Cheapo Webcam's Picture Quality."

The article is all about how you can wring out the best quality from a webcam.

Here's a vivid example how it's not about the equipment -- it's about how you use it. (It also shows why video is a little harder to do, since you notice the shortcomings): A while back, some of the UnCut Video folks went around with a digital camcorder (not a webcam) taking video of AOL employees telling their favorite jokes. Here's mine:

Now, besides me butchering my favorite joke (which can really only be told in person or on video), you'll notice that you can barely see me, since I'm just a backlit, dark shape.

Here's another example. The screenshot on the left is from my first webcam videoblog entry in May (I'm very orange); the screenshot on the right is from this week, where I've applied some of the advice from the entry:

What did I do that was different?

* First, I checked the color, contrast and brightness settings on my Webcam.

* I borrowed (stole) a partition to put behind me to simplify the background.

* I made sure that the lighting levels were okay (in the first pic, it was later at night, so a lot of the lights had automatically turned off)

* I gave the camera plenty of white (in the background and in my shirt), so the automatic white balance would have something to focus on. It's why I've started keeping a white shirt in the office (well, that, and it gets cold here sometimes).

Check out the other tips, especially the ones about minimizing glare from the monitor (which is important for those of us who wear glasses).

I still need to work on the lighting -- I have to bring in a desk lamp. For now, I've jury-rigged a bounce light using a flashlight, an easel and a dolphin -- it's to balance out the shadows on the right side of my face:


Jury-rigged bounce light setup, with dolphin.

Of course, no matter how good the video looks, you'll still be somewhat lacking if you don't have anything to say. I'll try to talk about that soon (I'm still kind of learning when it comes to the video bit of things).

Let me know if any of the video tips help, and if you have your own video blog entries you want to share, leave a comment with a link and tag it with or .

Thanks -- Joe

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you were building your bounce-light, did you have the theme song to MacGuyver playing in your head?  

Great use of the dolphin.

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/  

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

nancy

Anonymous said...

Looking good Joe! The strobist blog is great photo resource blog. A bit advanced but the author knows his subject, light. Videography or still photography, a few basics tips on lighting goes a long way. Love the bounce light, perfect light hack.