Thursday, June 28, 2007

Cleared: Thursday, 6/28 Afternoon Journals Outage, and an Update on Video

Hi folks -- we had a Journals outage this
afternoon, where people were getting the blue "Journals Are Not
Available" error screen; blogger
John
gave me a heads-up around 12:45pm EDT, and it was
resolved about 90 minutes later.

Sorry for any
inconvenience.

The Journals team is investigating
the problem; they think it's probably related to the ASA
release that went in early this morning.
They rolled back the
change, and things went back to normal.

Once they figure out what went wrong,
they'll be trying the install
again.

I posted
about the outage in the Journals
Message Board
,
which is what I usually do when Journals are down (since I can't post
here). Even when there's not an outage, it's a good place to find out
what's going on and talk to other
Journalers.



Update on
Video

*********************
Now, while the
ASA release is primarily for users in Germany, France and the UK, there
will be one new feature for all Journals users that I forgot about
(thanks to Leona
for reminding me): The ability to upload video files from your
computer into blog entries.


When it's
live, this will give you four methods to include
video in your blogs:

1. Embedded flash video players
from UnCut
Video
, YouTube,
and other providers. See the AOL Journals
Whitelist page
for a more complete list (I have to make some
updates).

2. Recording
Webcam video
directly into your blog.

3.
Moblogging
video
from your cellphone (I haven't tried this
yet).

and 4. Uploading video files from your
computer.

I will write more about #4 once it goes
live.

Thanks -- Joe


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe,
Things are actually not quite back to normal. I still get intermittent Journals not available errors, e.g. after putting in an entry or a comment. Said activities ARE being carried out by the system, but it throws you. Occasionally, entries show up as if they've lost their formatting - a reload of the page sorts that. But something's not right.

Anonymous said...

What extensions will ne allowed on uploading from your own files?

Anonymous said...

Pharmolo: I've asked the team to look into this.

Csandhollow: I will check with the team to see what file formats are allowed.

-- Joe

Anonymous said...

Celeste -- duh, I guess I could just look at the tab -- supported formats are:
mp4, wmv, avi, mov, 3gp, mpg, mpeg, mpeg4, qt; max file size is 15 megabytes.

Thanks -- Joe