Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Still Can't Stop the Serenity

Hi folks -- OK, so this isn't the entry I'd planned on doing today. It's more like filler, though I was going to write about it anyway (I also mentioned it last year).

Starting last weekend and going through this weekend, fans of Joss Whedon's sci-fi flick Serenity (and its TV series predecessor, Firefly) are getting together again this year for special screenings of the movie, on or around Whedon's birthday, with proceeds going to his favorite charity, Equality Now (supporting women's rights):

Can't Stop the Serenity promo banner
This is last year's image, but it mostly still applies.

See more info at their site, Can't Stop the Serenity.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make any of the DC area screenings, though it would be interesting.

Whedon's fans have always been particularly vocal, rabid, and savvy when it comes to harnessing online community and social media -- they're credited for helping get the movie made (the TV series was canceled after a single season).

There seems to be something about TV fandom that gets people mobilized -- witness the fan campaign for the CBS series Jericho, which had been canceled, but is back for at least a partial season after fans sent over 40,000 pounds of peanuts to CBS execs to demonstrate their support for the show.

Maybe people are willing to do this kind of stuff because they feel a special relationship with their TV shows (which are piped into their living rooms, after all) -- imagine if you could harness this kind of energy to do something important -- say, to help Save Darfur or something (though, to be fair to the Jericho nut folks, they did also put together over $20,000 to help the victims of the tornadoes that hit Greensburg, Kansas).

Thanks -- Joe

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention. Jericho reruns begin July 6 on CBS at 9 p.m. EST.
Season 2 begins this Fall.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Followed your advice and cleaned up my cookies. Easy to follow tips.I have another problem.I seem to have lost my calendar and my sign off site.They were always up in the left hand corner of my computer.One day they are there,and the next day they are gone.This is on AOL.  AOL might have been downloading and installed some new program while My computer was not being used and when I started it back up that is when I noticed the calendar and sign off spots missing.I had a lot of info on those calendars and want it back.NOW!!

Anonymous said...

Hi -- I think there was an AOL software update yesterday that broke some of the top menu items for some folks (including me) -- they made a fix this afternoon, so it should be back to the way it was yesterday. Try restarting your AOL and see if you see the change.

Regarding Calendar -- your calendar should always be accessible at Keyword: Calendar (or http://calendar.aol.com)

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)