Monday, May 1, 2006

Things Unwritten (and there's a poll)

Hi folks -- so, at the beginning of each new month, I take a look at the entry drafts that I've started and haven't gotten around to writing yet. (My entry drafts are often just a filename with a hyperlink. It's the seed of a potential entry -- it's not like I have all these pages and pages written.)

I take a look at these entries to see what's still relevant that I want to carry forward into the new month, and see what I should just let fall away into the archives.

Anyway, here's my list of draft entries from April; I wanted to do my own test of the embedded polls beta (which I also still need to blog about), so I figured I'd combine the two items.

So, from my April unwritten list, which of these items do you want me to write about next? (That's next off this list, not next overall).

Cast your vote in the poll and let me know -- vague descriptions are below; voting will be open until, um, Wednesday, May 3 at 4pm ET [so voting is over and the topic has been picked, but you can still vote if you want to. I guess.] , or whenever I get around to writing the entry, whichever comes last.



Slightly longer descriptions of topics:
* Which HTML tags you're allowed to use in entries
* Photo Tutorial: A Better Way to Peel Bananas
* Why are Journal entries numbered the way they are?
* More about using feed readers
* More about using free, third-party hit counters
* A New Concept: Tagging your way to a Journals Jam
* Kitten Authentication
* A Guide to L33t Speak
* Using Private Blogs for Work
* More on How to Get More Readers

That's it -- cast your vote and let me know. I'll entertain other suggestions, too, in the comments, though no promises as to timing or anything. Thanks -- Joe

[Update: I can't get the results to show the vertical scrollbar. It's kind of annoying. You'll have to click and drag inside the results window to see the results at the bottom. I'll keep fiddling with the IFRAME attributes, but this is why it's a beta. Thanks -- Joe]

[Update: You can keep voting if you like, but the poll is pretty much closed now. Thanks -- Joe]

Tag: , ,

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think your iframe window is big enough. I can't find a 'vote' button.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. It works just fine in Firefox. But in AOL's browser, there were no scroll bars.
-Paul
BTW, I voted for html code, but that tagging your way to a journals jam sounds neat. Under no circumstances are you to talk about bananas in your blog. Got it?

Anonymous said...

You goofed somewhere. I vote html

Anonymous said...

Html - I didn't see a send button on your poll.  Blessings, Penny http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere

Anonymous said...

Some days it doesn't pay to make banging out the last entry the final thing to do before running out of the office... although I'm impressed with the 6:42.

Anonymous said...

Hrm, I thought I tested it -- I guess I had knocked 30 pixels off the height that ended up hiding the button; it should be better now. Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

I had no troublevoting in the AOL browser, but I wondered where all the other choices disappeared to in the results until I saw Paul's mention of scrolling.  Then I did a select-drag to scroll down.

Karen

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I voted for the allowed HTML tags because I'd like to know if there's some code that we are allowed to use that I don't know about! :-)

~ Susan
http://journals.aol.com/njmom72/TheStrawberryPatch

Anonymous said...

Yes, now the vote button is visible, but after voting, all of the results are not. For some reason, the AOL browser is not showing a scroll bar. Again, Firefox is no problem.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

try taking {scrolling="yes"} out of the tag. In the iframe code, scrolling is automatic unless you specify {scrolling="no"}, so it's unecessary, and may be screwing things up in AOL's non-standards compliant browser.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I voted for the feeder reviews, but I have to admit the "Kitten Authentication" has me intrigued.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

What happens if you set the frameborder to "1"?
-Paul

Anonymous said...

Setting border=1 gives you an ugly 1 pixel border that still doesn't show a scroll bar. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've been messing with it in my test blog as well. I can't get it to display the scroll bar either, which is odd, because when I played with it last week, when Yoel first mentioned it, there was no problem with the scroll bar, just the automatic redirect. Again, it does work perfectly in Firefox. AOL should just build a browser that works.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

It's an IE thing, so perhaps you should blame MS.

I haven't tried the IE beta 7 yet, maybe it works there. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

No, I blame AOL for using IE. Why do these huge companies all seem to want to be proprietary? It just doesn't make sense.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/