Thursday, May 18, 2006

Adding Your Journal's Feed to Your AIM Pages Profile

For those of you playing around with AIM Pages, Journals Project Manager Yoel just blogged an entry about how you can use the AIM Pages Feed Module so that you can display the headlines from your recent blog entries in your AIM Pages profile (which is essentially a beefed up Member Profile right now).

The AIM Pages Feed Module is a widget that lets you display a Feed in your profile; typically, for a blog's feed, it will show the headline and a hyperlink to the full entry.

You can display the feed from your own blog, or your friends's blogs, or any blogs you like, and you can use as many feed modules as you like.

Yoel gives step-by-step instructions in his blog entry, so play around and check it out.

I use a Feed Module in my own AIM Pages Profile -- it displays the feed of entries from this here Magic Smoke blog, oddly enough. As I've also noted before, my AIM Pages profile is still pretty lame because I haven't played with it enough, but it's there for you to look at anyway: http://www.aimpages.com/journalseditor/profile.html

(The feed module is in the lower right -- you can see the list of modules I use in my profile in the Module List Module that's currently on the left side)

As noted previously, AIM Pages is a beta test, so it will be a little buggy (though I notice they've fixed a lot of stuff since last week's launch) -- also, they're adding new features on a continual basis.

The team is also working on things like cleaning up the labels, providing help and instructions, and all that good stuff, but it's there if you want to play around.

(Note that if you do create an AIM Pages profile, it will replace your current profile, so if you don't want that to happen, you should use or create a separate screen name to experiment with.)

Thanks -- Joe


Tag:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

my current opinion is that I will keep my old profile for as long as I am on  AOL, I don't understand or like the new ones, now if I could get Easy Designer to open so I could update my homepage I'd be ecsatic!
~Julie

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the new AIM pages!! I've created one and am happy that it replaces the old boring default profile in AOL's Member Directory. AIM Pages is an awesome, easy-to-use new feature! :-)

Anonymous said...

HELP!!WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE FEEDS I HAD ON MY AOL
THEY WERE ALL IN MISCELLANEOUS AND EVEN THAT IS GONE I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO FIND THEM ALL AGAIN. ANYWAY TO RETRIEVE THEM!!?
OH-WHOA IS ME

Anonymous said...

I just tried going on someone new profile page to see what this whole fuss was about & both times, AOL quit on me.  The new profile doesn't concern AOL members, right?

Anonymous said...

I just clicked on your sample link & AOL quit again on me...is this an AOL/MAC problem????

Anonymous said...

Marie, I will pass along your problem report to the AIM Pages folks to take a look.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)