Friday, May 19, 2006

More Thoughts on Getting Busted for Blogging

Hi folks -- so, as I threatened yesterday, I just wanted to share a few of my personal thoughts about how what you blog can get you in trouble.

Since I'm blogging for The Man, my situation is slightly different than that of other, normal bloggers -- see, here, I'm supposed to talk about work, my job, and my company.

Naturally, there are limits -- just like a non-work blogger, I would probably get in trouble if I went gossiping about who's doing what to whom, revealing office politics, divulging trade secrets, slandering people who say dumb things in meetings, making fun of my bosses (even if they deserve it... and I'm not saying that they do), etc.

I also have to be a lot more restrained in my blogging. Since I'm representing the company to some degree, as well as trying to set a positive example for other bloggers, there are certain things that I can't or won't do.

You're not going to see me cursing, or telling dirty jokes (well, I might hint at some, but if you go decide to look up the punch line, that's on you, innit?), or getting into flamewars with people (even if they flame me first... and not even if they really, really deserve it), or even making (too much) fun of people I don't know.

Furthermore, I don't really talk all that much about my personal life here, except where it intersects my work. Partly this is because I am not naturally extroverted, but a lot of it is because it's nice to have some lines between work and a personal life (such as it is).

Also, part of it is trying to preserve the feeling that I'm not going about my daily life just looking for material to mine later for my blog.

This is not to say that you're not getting the real me up here; I'm not performing, and this isn't a blogging persona that I put on for public consumption -- I'm just saying that I might hold a few things back, for my own sake.

So, say I have a sister whose birthday it is today (and I'm not saying that I do, or that it is) -- might I try to sneak in a

Happy Birthday!

message? It's hard to say.

Anyway, this is just another angle on the whole "be careful what you blog about" thing. Everyone who blogs has to figure out what their own limits are, and then hopefully stick to them.

No matter what your situation, you should feel free to blog for yourself and to blog about what you want to blog about -- just be mindful that there are, you know, people out there.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Thanks -- Joe


Tag:

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Don't remind me about Depeche Mode! They cancelled they concert last week & I didn't get to see them! Ugh!

Anonymous said...

AOL hired me to cover one event for them, and I was TOS'd by the 7th inning. In fact, even before the game started, I was in trouble for something.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Joe's sister!

What you've done here with the Magic Smoke is good.

Anonymous said...

Well Joe, I think your blog is always interesting, informative, and on the first of the month when you show the HK calendar, very CUTE as well. If you do have a sister celebrating a birthday today... Happy Birthday, Joe's sister!!

Have a great weekend Joe! :-)

~ Susan
http://journals.aol.com/njmom72/TheStrawberryPatch

Anonymous said...

"here, I'm supposed to talk about work, my job, and my company."

Hence, the post about peeling a banana upside down?

http://saveasecretaryfrominsanity.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

At last I found a space to write,
after 1 hour of trying to blog. Evereyone seemsto know about LOGO.  I have 2 TV...27" each one runs all day and the other all night.  I am addicted. Forgot Ellen, Day's of our lives,Dr Phil,
and oprah Now I never change.  I like some and hate others. Get rid of ERASURE He can't sing.  I
told them to get Sam Harris for
Somewhere Over The Rainbow.  Now that gay guy CAN sing and do everything else in show biz
Also have we , or has "k.d." herself forgotten the Eastern coast, like Boston or is she just plain tired from her last years grueling concert tour.  Boy It was the greatest.She is an icon along with my friend Tony Bennett. She is truly a dear friend tho. I could go on and on about her and stories of the past21 years.I hate the closed caption as it goes too fast on LOGO. What do you all think.   How about you KEN?
             SingRainbow@AOl.com

Anonymous said...

I would like to wish Joe's hypothetical sister a hypothetical Happy B'day as well.  

I tend to not blog about work.  I mean, my boss is a total twit, and it's a miracle he's not blown himself up or set himself on fire.  Seriously, the guy's a total putz.  Of course, I've got to deal with him since I'm self-employed.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Hello Joe, nice to meet you.  This is my "first time" Blogging. Thanks for the do's and dont's. It will be helpful to me as time goes on.  Is this like a paper journal that I keep at home, except this is public?  How do I find other people to blog with? It's a little confusing but I'm sure that all my higher education will pay off and I'll figure it out.  Thanks again for the helpful heads up.  

Anonymous said...

Singrainbow -- I think you're looking for my cow-orker Kenny and his blog, Worth Repeating:
http://journals.aol.com/gayesteditorever/WorthRepeating/

You might want to leave a comment over his blog.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)