Monday, January 8, 2007

Playing With New Features in AOL Pictures and woohoo

Hi folks -- hope you had a good weekend.

Here's a trifling little post with a picture of the clouds this morning:

Taken from the roof of the parking deck at AOL HQ.

I uploaded the photo to my AOL Pictures public gallery -- looking at AOL Pictures, I notice they've rolled out a few enhancements, including comment counts for individual pictures (in the gallery view).

In addition, Will from the Pictures team says that they've also launched an updated version of the woohoo slideshow thingy, with a few new styles of photo layouts; here's a quick and dirty woohoo; I chose to feature photos in my public gallery tagged "aol" (there are only 4 right now -- I have to go and tag my older photos), and I'm using the "Ken Burns" style:


I think the slow pan across the strangulation photo is particularly effective.

I will have to keep playing around; some of the new styles look more suitable if you have lots of photos in a given set; this one here probably works best for relatively small numbers of photos.

Now that Hamid is back from vacation, look for some updates and explanations on all of these things and more in the AOL Pictures blog.

Thanks -- Joe

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool features

Anonymous said...

I like that!

Anonymous said...

I like that picture of the clouds. That other thingy is great. Helen

Anonymous said...

Cool!  But why would somebody want to strange you?

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Only because they know me. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Helen,

The particular style for the slideshow I used was "Ken Burns", which you can change in the "woohoo" drop-down menu (I think the default is "Photo Pile").

If you're referring to centering the slideshow, I use the <div align=center></div> tags -- when you're in HTML view:

<div align=center>
PASTE THE WOOHOO HTML HERE
</div>

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

OK I tried it, but it wouldn't give me the option of what folders I could use.  Only the AIM folders, whichI only have a few & I have many under the AOL folders.  I also noticed that the slideshow woohoo site has AIM address, is that why?  How  can I access the AOL folders??

check mine out @
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariebm56/PhotographsMemoriestoo/

Marie

Anonymous said...

Marie,

Woohoo pulls from your public gallery folders -- if you want to use photos that you already have in other albums, go to http://pictures.aol.com and copy the photos to your Public Gallery.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

I love this Woo-Hoo...gives you time to really enjoy the pictures...Loved this!  It would be really cool if one day we can add borders or gif files too. Now, I get to learn how to do this,lol....~Raven

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see more storage space as well as have things be compatible with animated gif files.  Any word on these issues?

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe,
Wow! taht is really exciting!
hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe! I made a woohoo tonight. I published it on my journal page too. Just as an experiment. Come by and see. I'm trying to find out how to get it on my AIM page as well. I'll probably make a new one for AIM page. Question: do the photos have to be uploaded to AOL pictures gallery first, or is it okay to upload them directly from my computer? I uploaded mine directly from computer, but now I'm wondering if they could be lost from there... I don't really understand the way it works, but the pictures are showing up on my journal from my point of view. I wonder if anyone else can see them.  Thanks for telling us about it. Bea

http://journals.aol.com/bgilmore725/Wanderer/entries/2007/01/12/work-week-and-woohoo-what/1564

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe I have a web site and I am trying to get pictures on to my site and also
a small showing of one of our talk shows. I have a teen ministry talk show that
we put on taps and give to people. Our web site is www.Speaktruthministry.com.
I would like to add more stuff to it ,but I need help. If you can help me my email
is Stephanie_glnn@yahoo.com.