Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Drop the Lute: This Is The Police!

The Police
The Police

OK, so I don't play music critic that much, but I caught this on the BBC News Web site (it's all over the place now): 'Police to reunite for Grammy gig:'
"The Police are to reunite and perform at the Grammy Awards next month - more than 20 years after the release of their last album."
Yes, The Police [Wikipedia link --  their entry was being updated with the reunion gig info even as I was reading it]: Sting, Stewart Copeland, and Andy Summers, are going to be the lead act at the GRAMMY Awards on February 11.

(Unfortunately for you Henry Padovani fans, I doubt that their original guitarist will be performing.)

Now, this is pretty exciting, for those of us who remember Sting when he rocked -- you know, before he started doing Jaguar commercials, got all Soft Adult Contemporary, and started playing the lute.

Some lingering questions being asked in the big ole sphere o' blogs:

* TV Squad asks, "Now...what song should they play to open the telecast?" (Me, I say Synchronicity I and II.)

* Will there be a reunion tour? A lot of folks want one. Most people assume so. TixGirl Ames rounds up some of the current news and rumors (and dares her mom to try and stop her, now that she's not 13 this time around.)

* Will they get into a fight onstage? (Well, I'm asking it, anyway.)

Looking around at individual blogs written by regular people, a lot of the blog entries consist of "OMG," followed by excerpts of the press release, which isn't that interesting after you see a few dozen of them. See for yourself -- try some blog searches on Technorati and Sphere for "police grammy."

Here in AOL Journals, Mockingbird1730 adds to the general acclaim, but also adds her admiration of the Sumners' lasting marriage. (One note to all: In case you hadn't heard, that whole "7 hours of tantric sex"-thing was a joke gone wild. As the man himself says, "In fact it's more like four hours of begging, then a movie and then dinner.")

As for my part, that means I'm definitely going to watch the Grammy telecast this year. (Or at least, the opening performance.)

Are you going to be watching? What's your favorite Police song? What other band reunion would you want to see? Have no idea who The Police are? Leave a comment and let us know, or make a blog entry of your own, tag it with "police reunion" and leave a link here.

Thanks -- Joe

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I probably won't be watching.  But if I were, I'd like them to do Roxanne.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Oh I was their number 1 fan! Being a teenager in Ireland in the '80 it was The Police, U2 and Simple Minds.

I can still sing along to all their songs:

Young teacher, the subject of schoolgirl fantasy
She wants him so badly, kows what she wants to be
Inside her theres longing,ths girls an open page
Bookmarking shes so close now, tis girl is half his age

Dont stand, dont stand so, Dont stand so close to me  

Love Rozanne, Message in a bottle, Every little thing she does is magic, Walking on the moon to name but a few.  

One of my all time favorite cds is - Very Best Of Sting & The Police - and then I left it in the CD player when I traded in my last car ( this was also pre my Ipod days)

I have the Tivo set for Feb 11. If there is a reunion tour I will be there!

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I always liked how Elvis Costello couldn't stand Stink, or that "fake reggae accent" he used when he sang.

"Tantric Sex" is a Hindu term meaning "a man who can't get his wife off with conventional sex anymore."


Anonymous said...

Wow! The Police were a major part of my personal soundtrack during the 1980's, when I was coming of age. I would love to see a reunion tour. As for the Grammys, seeing The Police perform will be the sole reason to watch this otherwise lame, uninspiring, political, predictable awards show. As to the song choice: Dear Gordon, Andy, and Stewart - please play, "Message in a Bottle."