Wednesday, January 3, 2007

As Interesting as Watching Water Boil ... in Space!

Hi folks -- so, I know that space and science topics are more blogger John's thing, but I figured that since he's on the road, I would step up.

Besides, it's pretty cool: What boiling water looks like in microgravity (what you or I would call "Zero-G"):

Check out the NASA site for photos, video and an explanation of what's happening.

As I said, it's pretty cool. The article is also 6 years old; since it was originally published September 7, 2001, one might understand if it was overlooked due to subsequent events.

Besides, like the old NBC summer rerun slogan -- "If you haven't seen it, it's new to you!"

(Link via Digg.)

Thanks -- Joe

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen that before, but I've always liked that.  It looks like it boils all at once (for lack of a better way of explaining it).  

Now, if you want to see something really neat, how about the guys slowing down light in pursuit of photonic computing?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/23/researchers-slow-light-to-a-crawl-photonic-computers-imminent/

That frightens me.  I mean, once you've got light going 38 mph, when you get that blue screen of death, if you reboot, there's a pretty good chance you could find yourself somewhere in the 25th Century with a seriously out-of-date system.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

25th Century -- will Erin Gray be there, in the white outfit? -- Joe

Anonymous said...

No.  But, I think Dr. Theopolis will be there.  

-Dan

Anonymous said...

What?!?  Am I the only one who remember Dr. Theopolis?  

Oh, the injustice..  Fine.  That birdman will be there.  He always seemed a little, umm, flighty though.    

Bwaaahaha...  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/