Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A Workaround for Embedding Albums in Your Journals?

OK, so I was trying to think of ways that people could show off their photos in their Journals while we're waiting for the restoration of the classic, non-animated AOL Pictures albums (which won't happen until after the Memorial Day installation moratorium -- so next Wednesday).

You can, of course, use a third-party photo service, like Flickr or Picasa -- however, the embeddable slideshows they offer use Flash (pretty much all the embeddable slideshows these days use Flash), and I would need to check to see if they're compatible with Journals (RockYou and Slide, which also use Flash, have been tested and should work).

You can also create a slideshow or gallery and link off to it from your Journal, though it's obviously different than an embedded gallery.

Here's one suggestion for right now:

1. Upload your photos to your AOL Pictures public gallery. You can caption your pics, then link to the Public Gallery (for example, here's my public gallery)

2. After we get the Classic AOL Pictures viewer back next week, you can go into the Album view of AOL Pictures, then copy the photos from your Public Gallery Album into a separate Album (it just takes a few clicks), and embed that album into your Journal, which you can select as a Classic (non-Flash) album. That means you wouldn't have to retype any captions or anything.

I did some testing and it should work, so I can lay out more instructions if people are interested next week.

Thanks -- Joe

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all this, Joe.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Had fun with the slideshow!

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Well I only hope that more tweaking will not cause further problems because.........shock..........wait for it................  last week I got my Add New Entry button back.  It had been gone since last November and, believe me, I do not want to lose it again.