Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Cellphoto: In the Courtyard (revised)

Image from AOL Pictures

Cellphone camera photo of an ornament in the courtyard - I'll edit this when I get back inside.

*********************************
Hi folks -- as previously threatened, the above is a photo that I took and posted from my cellphone camera; it's a spherical mirror-like thing on a pedestal in the downstairs courtyard, which I was passing through after a meeting (the courtyard, not the mirror-sphere).

My cameraphone takes photos up to two megapixels (1600x1200); the picture that you see here was automatically downscaled to 384x288 (size "m"); if you fiddle the AOL Pictures URL by changing the "m" (for medium) at the end to "l" (for large), you can see the 768x576 pixel version.

The sunlight outside was strong, so the photo is nice and sharp.

The Journals folks have been getting after me to talk more about moblogging (mobile blogging), so I'll talk about the how-to in another entry later today.

For now, the folks at the AOL Photo Talk blog have an entry with some tips on how to shoot with your cell phone camera.

Also, last week, Metafilter had an AP news story about an artist, Patrice Elmi, who takes abstract  art photos with her own 2.0 megapixel camera.

She apparently doesn't retouch or enhance the photos in any way, which is pretty impressive; when she contacted the cameraphone manufacturer, at first they didn't believe her. (They ended up sponsoring her gallery showing.)

Thanks -- Joe

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that's a lot clearer than my mom's cell phone photos!

Anonymous said...

That's pretty neat. Helen

Anonymous said...

Shoulda polished it first.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

Anonymous said...

Why do I feel like a goldfish?

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Somebody has been so helpful as of late.  Go get yourself a cookie!

Anonymous said...

Joe,
Its patrice elmi here.  I did a search for me to see what the latest was in over 15,000 google hits on me an stumbled on yours.  I love your sphere.  Very cool.
Thanks for mentioning me in your blog.  I would love to see more of your work and if you have a email address send it to me and i will keep you posted on career.  Have three appts. coming up with Beverly Hills galleries and all from press from LG sponsoring my show!
Keep clicking away, As i said in one interview, with me its "addictive"  I have over 4,000 "Views From a Cell" Visual Urban Abstracts in my iphoto library!  
email me at StElmisFire@aol.com and send me to your website or some jpgs of new shote.  LOVE THIS ONE! and i am very critical and hard to please.  I would actually get someone to print this one circular. I have an entire folder of self portraits taken in Bathrooms wherever I go and some outside - shadows of me on sidewalks.  FUn stuff.