Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Journals Rllb Release Successfully Launched

Hi folks -- as I mentioned yesterday, the Journals team installed the AOL Journals R11b release in production early this morning.

The install went pretty smoothly; let me know if you're experiencing any problems.

Here are a few open issues and clarifications:

* Status on Features for International (non-US) Users:
- Record Video: Right now, recording and embedding video from your webcam directly into your blog entry is US-only. It's powered by a Userplane module that was built as a prototype. Not sure what the plan is for an International rollout.

- Flickr Tab in Pictures Picker: This feature is currently only available to US, Latino, and Germany. The team is working to get it added to other locales (like UK and France); hopefully sooner rather than later.
Company-wide, there's a renewed emphasis on international customers, so hopefully we'll be seeing a lot more simultaneous roll outs, instead of catch-up for non-US folks.

* Page Loading: I'm seeing some intermittent delays -- more like hitches and hiccups, rather than full "hangs" -- in page loading, possibly related to the AOL Pictures integrations. Not sure; am asking the team to look into it.

* Woohoo Album Displays: This one I should have done a little more homework on so I could have pre-messaged it better: Now, when you embed an AOL Pictures album into your blog, it uses the Woohoo display module (click to see all the styles available).

I did not realize that this would affect the albums already in your Journals. Sorry about that. There are two main issues people are bringing up:

1. The current Woohoo album styles don't display captions.
2. Some folks don't like the default "Ken Burns" style.

I have asked the Woohoo team to see what they can do about displaying captions. Right now, I would suggest using the "Photo Album" style, where when you click a picture, it opens a new window with the single-picture view in AOL Pictures (with caption).

"Ken Burns" style (named after the signature style of the documentary filmmaker -- a slow pan over a photo) also takes you to the photo page when you click a photo, but some people don't like the movement. I will talk more about Woohoo and the styles later.

* Display Names in Comments: A few folks have pointed out that when they leave comments, their first name is being displayed instead of their screen name. I'm not sure why this is happening and have asked the tech folks to investigate.

If you are running into any problems with Journals today, or have feedback on the new features, please let me and the Journals team know.

I will be talking more in-depth about the new features and other changes.

Thanks -- Joe


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I notice that name-display glitch when I look at the comments in your previous entry.  That's kind of weird.  

I'm glad things went smoothly.  I've not noticed any problems.  The new features, unfortunately, aren't things I personally plan to take advantage of, but they do seem pretty neat, and I think folks should be able to have all sorts of fun with them.  

Anyway, thank everyone on the Journals Team for me for doing what they do to keep this product fun.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

It's nice being a name.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Although i quite like the slideshow it would be better if people could choose which option they want...Slideshow is good for some types of pics but for others it's pants...And for anyone with photosensitive epilepsy it's DANGEROUS.

Anonymous said...

I cannot stand the Ken Burns style, or at least let me chose what to zoom in on and not cutoff the part *I* like, and I do NOT want it as a slide show.  They're out of order that way, anyway.  Ugh.  I DO like that it's not tiny in a little border bit any more.   But, I'm not understanding, how do I FIX THIS BS SLIDE SHOW KEN BURNS THING so it's not happening any more?  Yeah, I'm relatively computer-journal illiterate.   Thanks, Joe:)  

Anonymous said...

Is Google ad-Sense going to work in my journal. or should I save myself the bother? I don't care if I only make a quarter a year... I'm just fascinated by the process.

Anonymous said...

Hi all:

* I will do an entry as soon as I can today about the woohoo display modules.

* The displayed name in comments thing has been confirmed as a bug and the team is working on a patch.

* Monponsett: personally, I would love to allow users to embed Google or other third party text ads -- I will have to bring it up again to the higher-ups.

Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I just discovered the changes in my AOL Journal.  The "Ken Burns" effect looks neat when viewing my oceanfront images.  The water looks like it's actually moving.  But overall, I'm not pleased.  The "Mixed Media" option is also kewl for some pics, but I'd like an option to view the photos "as is".  All of my previous posts are affected and some don't even load anymore.  I'll give it a few more days to get the bugs out.  If not, I'll go to Flickr or Photobucket to post my photos.  I spend a lot of time Photoshopping my images for the best viewing and presentation and I don't think this display does them justice.  Was there ever a notice sent out about this change?
Cheers
Clyde

Anonymous said...

What I meant... am I going to get in trouble for it?

Anonymous said...

I like the new photo display but was disappointed about the captionlessness!
Traci

Anonymous said...

I am a virtual novice on the computer--compared to so many others--but I really am enjoying the new setup.  I would like the captions to be there, but most of the people who read my journal know who everyone is.  If the captions can be added, though, that would be great.  Guess I'll have to start reading your entries more faithfully; then, I would have known this was coming.

Thanks for your efforts to make this site fun to use and fun to read.

Anonymous said...

I AM SIMPLE. I WANT MY BRIGHT PINK TEXT OPTION BACK! WHO GOT RID OF THE BRIGHT PINK???

WHY GET RID OF HAPPY PINK??
And I don't like that the list of my PRIVATE journals pops up when you click on  my name now.

Anonymous said...

Is that possible that I can still wrap my text around the pictures so the pictures won't display on the middle of an entry?

Also, can I have the choice to display my pictures as they are (much like the previous version of AOL Journals) instead of the new animating style?

I like the new features found in this new version. GREAT JOB!

Anonymous said...

All4movingahead -- I wasn't aware of any color changes in the text editor; I will have to check with the team on that one.

Regarding the public list page and private Journals -- only you, the private Journal owner (and the people you've allowed to read your Private Journal) will be able to see your Private Journals listed on that page. So no worries there.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

SKChen -- I'll have to test the wrapping settings to see what's up. Also, we're checking on having a classic, non-animated style for multiple pictures (the way single pictures are added is still basically the same.

For the rest of you asking about captions -- we're looking into a fix for this and a few other things; check out my most recent entry: http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/2007/05/16/r11b-update-screen-name-fix--more/2217

Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Busy day for you, no?

Anonymous said...

Please HELP! My photos which were in neat little albums, now either don't show or are on a horrible looking slide show which cuts off most of the picture it's showing but I'm mostly getting a little black "timed out" message with no pictures.
Some of the photos you'll see were copied and pasted from another site, these weren't affected, the photos in albums aren't working.
Please look at my journal and advise me what to do next. I'm frantic because this is the best way I've got to communicate with far-off family. I'm mostly getting a little black "timed out" message and no pictures. If I right-click the black "timed out" message I get some kind of settings from woohoo?
I spent all day Wednesday trying to get my point across to tech support, they had me standing on my head making changes to my computer (which I later had to un-do since none worked) Here's the link. My email address is
LPleas3333@aol.com

http://journals.aol.com/lpleas3333/AdensAdventures/
Comment from lpleas3333 - 5/18/07 7:09 AM