Thursday, May 24, 2007

As a Blogger, Do You Risk the Sack?

This entry is mostly an excuse to use the term "Risk the Sack", which sounds vaguely dirty and/or violent to my twisted ear. (It could also be a game show.)

Today's BBC News business section has an item entitled, "Third of bloggers 'risk the sack'", in which a survey reports that more than a third of UK bloggers "risk the sack" (
in USian, that's risk getting sacked) because of what they blog, posting "derogatory or damaging details about their workplace, boss or colleagues."

It should be noted that the survey was commissioned by a human resources company.

The article is somewhat alarmist, but it's a good reminder that what you post online can and will be seen by other people, so be careful what you write, lest you risk the sack.

Risk the sack, risk the sack, risk the sack, risk the sack, risk the sack.

Thanks -- Joe

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can not say "risk the sack" three times fast.  I've tried.  It hurts me.

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

That's bloody nonsense. A third of the bloggers in the UK are writing about work?Rubbish.

You are right in pointing out that this was commissioned by a HR agency.

And some BBC News Editor jump in their bed over the chance to use "risk the sack."

Anonymous said...

I did not realize I speak USian until you pointed it out. I can now add this item to my list have accomplishments, which now total seven. These pearls of wisdom are why I like to read your journal, Joe.

Jimmy
http://journals.aol.com/jimSulliv3/jimmys-journal/

Anonymous said...

not about blogging-but I'm not getting any alerts so that I can read blogs!
Terry
terrymannie@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Well, I think alerts are down again.  arghhh.
Have a good day, Joe and enjoy the weekend.
Sonya

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Joe... alerts are down again :(  Holidays and alerts crashing seem to go together these days
d

Anonymous said...

In a sense...every goddamn day.

Anonymous said...

Hi folks -- I've asked the Alerts folks to investigate the nondelivery problem (instant Alerts seem to be working, though e-mail delivery is not.) I will blog more about it when I know more.

Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

h