Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Journals Install Status and a Pictures Picker Bug

Hi folks -- hope you all had a pleasant Memorial Day holiday. Right now, I'm still catching up on stuff from over the weekend (and before):

* Install Status: The Journals folks on the West Coast should have an update in a few hours on what we can expect for this week's Journals installs (especially the patch that will fix the AOL Pictures embedded albums behavior).

I'll let you know what's going on when I know.

* A Pictures Picker Bug: Following up on a few problem reports, I was able to isolate a bug (yay, me) in the way you add images to your Journal entries.

In the new Pictures picker, you can add images to your entries in four ways, each with its own tab:

1. Adding pictures that you have on your computer.
2. Adding pictures you have in your AOL Pictures albums.
3. Including pictures you have stored on Flickr (another photo service).
4. Hotlinking to photos published elsewhere on the Web (like stuff you've uploaded to your File Manager space).

The bug I found was in #4, and fortunately, there's a workaround -- we'll also get a fix in an upcoming build. Here's the problem:

1. You're trying to add a picture that already lives on the Web to your entry, so you click the Add Image button (either the big button or the little one in the formatting toolbar):

2. Since you already know the URL of the photo you want to include, you click the URL tab and you paste in the URL:


3. You hit the "Enter" key on your keyboard. Boom, this gives you an error screen.

Now, for dialog boxes like this, hitting the "Enter" key on your keyboard is usually the same thing as clicking the action button. Usually.

In this case, though, it's causing an error.

The workaround right now is to click the "Add Image" button instead of hitting the Enter key, and we'll get this fixed soon.

Thanks -- Joe

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hummm, I have been doing the Add Image button and mine has been going in fine. I haven't even thought of hitting the enter key LOL. Thanks for the update Joe, Helen

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing as the previous comment..I didn't even know hitting enter was the same as install. Good eye, Joe !

Jimmy
http://journals.aol.com/jimsulliv3/jimmys-journal/

Anonymous said...

Depending on where you are and what you're doing, hitting the Enter key is usually a shortcut for clicking on the highlighted (active) button.

It can save time moving between mouse and keyboard, depending on what you're used to. Anyway, we'll get it fixed.

Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

I found that bug too. I almost always use the enter key.
No pictures for me right now. A plastic divider between my motherboard and processor broke and I am using a borrowed computer. While it is being fixed I am having a few addons added to computer.
I just wonder who was the dummy that decided to use  plastic???????????