Tuesday, May 22, 2007

On the Job or Loafing During the Day?

Hi folks -- the Journals team is hard at work on the R11b fixes, but otherwise, there's not too much to report right now.

In the meantime, there was an item on BoingBoing yesterday about this San Francisco Chronicle article: "The mystery of the daytime idle: Why aren't you working?"

It wonders about a phenomena I don't get to witness much firsthand: Who are all the people you see sitting in coffee shops or strolling in the park during the middle of the workday -- 9-5, Monday through Friday?

Of course, there are as many reasons as there are people -- homemakers, work-from-homers, the assorted malingerer -- but some folks simply have different days of the week off.

This goes for countries, too. For example, did you know that the workweek in Iraq is Sunday through Thursday, making the weekend Friday and Saturday? (In other parts of the Middle East, the workweek is Sat-Wed or even Sat-Thurs.)

For another take on the workday idle, radio show This American Life did a story on this back in 2000: 'Secret Life of Daytime.'

Are you out and about during the traditional workweek, or are you bound to a desk or job site? Tell us about what you do in the daylight hours.

Thanks -- Joe

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No my days off are different durning the week, as I work retail there are NO weekends off in retail!!! Tawnya

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I'm retired, so I spend my time hoping the that the rest of you are out working and paying into my social security. The rest of my time is spent praying at an altar I've got built to honor the AOL gods. There are times the AOL gods aren't very good to me, hmmm maybe I need to sacrifice a virg...ah nevermind, that won't work either.