Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Mobile Blogging Revisited

Image from AOL Pictures

A grate. It's basically filler for the entry i will add in a second.

**************************
The Journals team reminded me recently that I haven't talked about moblogging (mobile blogging, or blogging from a mobile device such as a cellphone) in about a year. [Update, 5/31: I added a few corrections based on feedback from Vish on the team, who basically built our mobile blogging feature.]

Plus, they made some changes recently to make moblogging a little easier to find. And to top it off, I now have a cellphone with a camera and a data plan, so I can finally do it myself. So let's take another look at moblogging.

What It's All About
***************************************
Moblogging is pretty simple -- at its heart, it's powered by a special e-mail address that you use to post stuff to your blog. So if you have a cellphone that can take pictures and can e-mail them, you've got moblogging.

Are you going to want to write a book this way? Probably not. But if you have some quick thoughts or an interesting photo that you want to share, moblogging is a quick way to do it.

(Bonus: Even if you don't have a cellphone that can take pictures and send e-mail, you can still use your moblogging e-mail address to mail updates to your blog -- and, if you share that address with other people, they can post updates to your blog, too. More on that later.)

[Vish adds: AOL Journals moblogging also supports mobile video uploads from your cell phone -- I haven't tried it myself, yet, but I will have to.]

Now Easier to Find
****************************************
First off, it's now easier to find the setup links for moblogging. Previously, it was a little hidden in the "Edit Journal" setting page. Now, it gets its own button, "Go Mobile!" next to the "Add Entry" and "Edit Journal" buttons:

It's also in the footer when you're adding or editing entries:


Actually, clicking the AIM link is something else I need to talk about. So just look at the "your cell phone" part of it now.

No matter how you get there, you'll see this screen here, which gives you your moblogging e-mail address:

The e-mail address, which is "a word, a number and another word"@blogs.aol.com is your Journal's e-mail address -- when you send e-mail to it, it will post to your blog.

You can leave the subject and body fields blank, though your cell phone provider may "help" you out with default text ("You have new Picture Mail") -- you can always edit it later, but you might want to put something in there:

* The subject of the e-mail becomes the title of your entry.
* The body of the message becomes the body of your entry.
* A photo that's attached to the e-mail (not embedded in the body) will be in the post. (Note that you can only have one photo per e-mail. Vish says you can add as many photos as your phone will allow, they'll just display one after another in your entry. Multiple attached photos via regular e-mail may not work, depending on what your e-mail software does to multiple attachments.)

If you want to change your blog's e-mail address (like you gave the address to someone and you don't want them to be able to post to your blog anymore), click the hyperlink that says "Get a new e-mail address." When you do this, you'll get a new address, and the old one will stop working.

What else?

* Moblogging is free on the AOL side, though you'll need to check to see if your cell phone company charges for data uploading.
* You'll want to add your moblogging address to your phone's address book, or else you'll have to remember and retype it every time you want to post.
* Once you've made a posting, you can go back and editit from your computer, just like any other blog entry.
* Like I said, if you share your Journal's e-mail address with other people, they'll be able to post to your blog by sending e-mail to that address. And it'll appear to come from the screen name of the blog owner. So be careful with that (and if you do share your posting address, ask your contributors to sign their entries so you'll know who posted what).

That's pretty much it.

Now, I'm kind of a control freak when it comes to blogging -- I like editing my photos, as well as laying out my text just so. Also, I'm not that fast when it comes to texting on a cell phone keypad. So I'm not sure how often I'll be moblogging. It's something I'll have to work on.

Thanks --Joe

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee...  That's some mighty grate filler, Joe.

Hahaha...  Get it?  Grate?  

Thank you...  I'll be here all week.  Try the veal.

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Ugh. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

I see where you are headed with the grate picture. My cell doesn't have a camera in it and I would be to slow hunting the words to make an entry from a cell phone. Helen

Anonymous said...

Hi Helen -- I don't think I was trying to go anywhere with the grate picture -- it was just something I took on the way to lunch. Though it's sort of abstract, as a closeup. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Looks to me like AOL has even out-sourced its sewer grates.

Anyway, this moblogging seems kind of neat.  I could, hypothetically create some sort of random guest blogger thing, couldn't I?  

Hmm...  I'll have to think about that.

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

More like a sieve than a filler, but, I like this "sending to an e-mail addy and it'll post" concept.  Could I use it from, say, if I was on another e-mail of mine and couldn't access aol right then?  The subject line and photos would show up?  If so, I like that better than posting to my blog a few sentences at a time, with a title NOT showing up properly, when I try to post via IM.
Yeah, Dan, do a guest blog thingy.  that'd be somewhat amusing.

Anonymous said...

Ceilisundancer -- any e-mail you send to your Journal's posting e-mail address will get posted, no matter who or where it's from. Easiest way to see how it works is to play around in a test Journal; you'll get it after you use it.

Thanks -- Joe