Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Weekend Picks 11/22/06


Hey there, people -- it's like, too late before the Thanksgiving holiday. Everyone on the entire East Coast is competing for a position on I-95, myself included ... so I'm putting up my Weekend picks a little early, with a holiday theme.


 I drink cranberry juice all year, but I only think about those hard little berries as a solid twice a year: Christmas and Thanksgiving. J-Land regular Monponsett has a pretty cool post on her blog High Above Courtside documenting a trip to an actual cranberry bog. The phrase "cranberry bog" sounds like an unfortunate intestinal condition, but it's actually quite picturesque!

Princess Aurora's response to Scalzi's last Weekend Assignment absolutely cracked me up. She details the struggle between those who love dark turkey meat and white meat really well, but she coins and uses the
"Battle of the Meat Shades" so much that I honestly cannot get it out of my head.

Don't ask me how I found it, but I found a blog post that has unearthed the crappiest, weirdest Christmas song ever:
'Dominic, the Italian Christmas Donkey'. The sick thing is, the song's sorta catchy -- so it may replace the phrase "battle of the eat shades" in my brain eventually.

Syd Barrett was the founder of Pink Floyd -- he created a type of psychedelic rock that had never been seen before and has never been heard since he left the band after desceneding into schozophrenia triggered by constant heavy drug abuse. The album 'Wish You Were Here' is actually a tribute to Floyd's lost band member. Why am I telling you this? Because for some reason, Barrett's Christmas tree is for sale. Check it out on
Tech Digest.

Our very own John Scalzi put together a hilarious parody post a while back entitled The Ten Least Successful Holiday Specials of All Time. This also cracked me up. A mild content warning applies here, just so you know.

At the year's end, we are inundated with lists chronicling the best/worst of (blank) in the last year. It's easy content for harried editorial staff (like me) to crank out before hustling off for our own holidays. Fimoculous
aggregates these best-of lists into one tidy place. Right now the list is thin, but then again, there aren't that many lists out. As they're released, this post will update -- so check back in, and share any lists you find with the blog's editor.

That about sums it up. I'm sure to be doing more holiday-themed blog picks in the future, so if you have a post you'd like to share, please either mail it to me or leave it in my comments. I definitley am planning to do an all J-Land blog holiday, so keep it in mind as you're sitting down to write this winter. Have a great Thanksgiving ...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy t day to you

Anonymous said...

Hi Im New Here,My Blog Is Called "MyDiary"AndThis Pic Is Super Cute And Funny.If You'd Like,I Could Sign you Up For My Journal.Oh,And I Almost Forgot,My Name Is Cheyenne,I'm Part Of The Cheyenne Tribe,My Mother Is Too.

Anonymous said...

A cute and clever entry. Nice to see entries that are cheerful and fun, rather than critical and vitrolic.  Joe of jdsmusings.

Anonymous said...

You look so tiny on AOL Mobile Web Jeff... ;-)

Anonymous said...

I have just been over Monponsett's blog.  She hasn't posted one since the cranberry bog blog, which was precious.  I just loved it.  Raven of Rebuke the World collected Monponsett's sense of humor in one entry.  I just thought it was so precious.  I will leave the link here with you.
http://journals.aol.com/rebuketheworld/RebukeTheWorld/entries/2006/11/01/comic-relief-aol-member-monponsett-is-up-for-the-aol-vivi-sports-award-and-she-cracks-me-up./1577  

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving, Jeff.  

I think I meant to get to this earlier, but you know how it is with tryptophan.  

Anyway, I hope yours was a blast!

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Sorry I was late on the release... I have a sister in Missouri, and I refuse to fly anywhere.

Anonymous said...

why does this error keep showing when i try to get to file manager???

Error 504 'vlse.aol.com' Gateway Timeout.  

Anonymous said...

dear Jeff
very festive! thanks so much! :):) Monponsett is one of the coolest people ever!
hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

Where did you find that moose? Darn I have been looking for one take pictures of!!!
Betty

Anonymous said...

My blog is decorated for the Christmas season. http://jottingsfromjersey.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Great entry... is anyone working on the file manager issue or is it just being ignored?   Not one thing suggested helps.  Do one item at a time?  Yeah, might be able to try that if the damn thing would open in the first place.  Hello???  A little help please.. it's been days!
d

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

By the way, my wife also takes in a daily drint of Cranberry juice.  I find the drink to be too much for me so, after several trials, I have taken to drinking orange juice in stead.

By for now,

John.

jacksj989/OldjohnsMemories

Anonymous said...

Hi !!!!!!!! I am one of the journallers at J-Land. I keep a journal titled Dear Diary. The reason for this note is as follows: I think you missed one very important journal as guest editor. The title of the journal I wish to mention is "This and that, and hockey !

I think that this writer and the journal should have been included in your list. I think that this journal should be mentioned. Here is the link ----------> http://journals.aol.com/nightmaremom/Thisandthatandhockey/

If you don't mention this journal I think it would be quite a terrible mistake. Perhaps you might want to go over and take a serious look at this journal you won't regret going over and seeing it for yourself.

Thanks for listening.

Anonymous said...

Cool Beans dude!  TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! That picture is so cute!! lol okay well i will shut up now.