Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Problems With Journals New Entry/Comment Added Alerts?

Hi folks -- so, a bunch of you have reported to me and Journals Editor Jeff of problems with nondelivery of New Entry & Comment Added Journals Alerts, going on since around Friday.

We've made the Journals & Alerts teams aware of the problem and are working to fix it. Apologies for not publicly replying to your reports earlier.

It appears to be one of those annoying problems where Alerts are completely working for some people, and completely not working for others, so the tech folks have to figure out why those two groups of people are being affected differently, and go from there.

For people who aren't getting their alerts -- I was one of those people you love to hate, who wasn't seeing anything wrong with alerts delivery... until just now. I subscribe to my own new Entry Alert (which you can do, it just involves some finagling with alternate screen names), and I didn't get a New Entry alert for the Hello Kitty post I just did. Up until then, though, I'd gotten all my Alerts normally (as far as I know, of course.)

If you're still having problems with Alert non-delivery, please let me know in the comments (if you've already notified Jeff, you don't have to do it again here).

When you do report a problem, please tell me the address of the affected blog, and whether or not it's a complete outage, or if you're still getting some alerts.

Also, if you're subscribed to a lot of alerts -- like, over 100, please let me know as well -- that typically causes problems.

By my reckoning, it's been a few months since we've had really widespread Alerts problems, so please bear with us and sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks -- Joe

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry but these whinney folks do bore me with this stuff

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know I have weird things happening to me so this shouldn't be a surprise to you. I have way less than 100 alerts and no I'm not getting any journal or comment alerts but, the journals I delete won't go away! I am still getting their alerts! Is that considered stalking? Tammy

Anonymous said...

I am getting alerts but the type face on some journals and also on the comments has gone so tiny it is almost illegible!!! What is causing that?

Anonymous said...

TY for working towards getting a fast resolve to this! We appreciate it...I have already left my comments...but not sure if I left all my links???
Will do that again now, No alerts or comments posted alerts since sat morning for:
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/SUGARSLIFE/
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/MYBELOVEDFURRBABIES/
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/MEMORIAL4JLANDPETS/

Anonymous said...

I have not gotten a single alert since friend entry or comments... not sure what you mean by affected area? just my e-mail address or names of journals I am sucribed to? that could take all day!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Thank God you are back! I haven't gotten any alerts since Friday. It's like some kind of weird Silent Hill J-Land thing -- creepy!!! I don't have over a hundred journals and I haven't previously notified anyone other than my readers that are still getting alerts via journal entries.
Does this have anything to do with going on the new free AOL plan?
Thanks for making sure things get taken care of around here Joe! You have no idea how much we appreciate you!

::Hugs:: Martha :-)
http://journals.aol.com/lifes2odd/Justvisiting/
http://journals.aol.com/lifes2odd/LifesLittleChallenges/

Anonymous said...

Hi -  I don't have a journal of my own, but do have approx 20 favorite journals on alert.   It's been 3 or 4 days now and I haven't rec'd a single alert.  This morning (about 12 hrs ago) I went into my favorites and open every journal I normal have on alert, and 're-set', asked to receive alerts .. still not geting the alert emails.  ?? Hopefully can be resolved soon, will be very appreciative.  Thanks, Judy, in CT

Anonymous said...

No problems here!  Thanks!  

Anonymous said...

I am not getting but a few alerts..none for aol journals under my screen name RedPoppy007.  I do have over a 100 alerts.
It is a pain, I have tried to fix to no avail.
Please advise..
http://journals.aol.com/redpoppy007/Memoriesofmymind/

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I was getting alerts up till yesterday (Tuesday) But today I have no alerts at all I have received e~mail telling me some had posted an entry ~ hope you get this sorted Joe ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

No new entry alerts for four or five days now.  I have only about 10 or 12 on my list, so we can't blame excessive numbers

Anonymous said...

Couldn't let you only have 13 comments....It's against my grain.  Let's hope this resolves soon....lots of tears out there from people not getting their daily fill LOL!
Sharon - http://journals.aol.com/tpiez4me/CoastalComfort

Anonymous said...

I am not getting any Alerts ~ it started on Friday. Hope AOL can get this problem fixed soon, because it very frustrating!

Leigh :-)
http://journals.aol.co.uk/edwardssoapy/LeighsWorld/"

Anonymous said...

Can someone please update us as to what is being done with the alerts?

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

I'm being affected by the alerts problem too, although my Mother who lives ten miles away has had NO problems whatsoever....it's wierd!

Thanks bud,

Ste
http://journals.aol.co.uk/stevietwain/ThelifeofSte/

Anonymous said...

I have had nothing in my mail box,an entry alert or a comment added alert ,since Friday night ,.,.,.,Jan    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeadie05/Serendipity/

Anonymous said...

Joan -- re: font size changes -- I left you a comment in your blog -- try adjusting your browser font settings and see if that helps:
http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/2006/07/07/changing-your-web-browsers-display-font-size/1532
Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy -- can you be a little more specific about what you're seeing? The Journals New Entry Alerts you're trying to delete are still showing up in your list, and you're still getting their Alerts?

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)