Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Dragonfly, Hippopotami, Blogger Tools


Every second today has been a glowing streak like
you see in time-lapse astral photography. I've had so much coffee that I am
slipping backwards through time, nimbly dancing through radiant
spaghetti stars. I am a dragonfly in an office of hippopotami, flitting around
giant creatures that are standing still.

But no
matter what I do, there's other stuff screaming to be done. Like this blog post,
meant for time-stressed bloggers who want to crack it out now now
now.

Here's two essential tools to do just
that:

A web-based alarm
clock.
Just
set the alarm and leave the window open. The tone is the most grating,
aggravating sound I can think of, and impossible to ignore. I set it in
30-minute increments and focus on one task at a time. It
helps!

Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt's Oblique Strategy
Generator
.
Eno and Schmidt are a musician and painter, respectively. Brian Eno
is the most famous for having produced U2 and the Talking Heads, and you may
know his song "Needle in the Camel's Eye" from the Velvet
Goldmine
soundtrack. Schmidt, I know a lot less about.


But I digress. The two artists developed a pack of cards
meant to jog the brain while stuck on a creative problem. The above link goes to
a web-enabled version. Some strategies may not relate, but others will hit right
home.

Every blogger runs out of stuff to write about, or
wants to be more interesting than he is. These Oblique Strategies are, in my
mind, a great tool for applying pressure to a stuck mind when pressure is
needed, and relieving pressure when there is already too much.


Let me know how it works for you. If you like, use the
Strategy Generator for your next post and leave me a link to it in the comments.


Or, you could just tell me to stop being all artsy-fartsy
and I'll understand.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...  I got a "Trust in the you of now," and that seems kind of ironic since you've downed enough coffee to upset time.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

I got "What is the reality of the situation?"
Is there any reality to blogging? Hmmm......

Kathy

Anonymous said...

I love it, I love it, I love it... it's fun... after the thrid one I started laughing... that's good news... there are 400 of them :D
I keep the link
Valerie

Anonymous said...

Very cute, and a great way to fill a few empty minutes...LOL

Thanks for the laugh...:)

Anonymous said...

thanks for the new sites to check out.  I am somewhat behind so still getting used to you, so I thought I would tag you in hopes of learning more about you (if you have time)
Read my blog for the details : )

http://journals.aol.com/hunybea4him/HunybeasOpenJournal/entries/2006/09/20/tagged-6-odd-or-weird-things-you-prob-should-not-know-about-me-lol/2311

Much Love,
Mary

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Appreciate the links, Jeff.

Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

Anonymous said...

Love the alarm clock idea...

Anonymous said...

The strategy generator is cool. Thanks for the neat tools! Oh, and even though it's sort of late in coming, welcome to J-Land!

Jess
http://journals.aol.com/aurielalata/CIWTheOtherInvisible

Anonymous said...

Thanks that clock is great for my classroom! Keep group work time or end of class that they can't pack up until they hear that! I'm going to share it with other teachers!

Bears 30-0! :-)