Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Uh-Oh, Joe's Annoyed Again

Cow-orker and AIM Pages person Stephanie just sent an item to a social media and blogging listserve I'm on.

It annoyed me:

Journals Editor Joe Annoyed Again

(If you know my AOL blogging history, when I get annoyed, other people tend to get very angry. At me.

Fortunately, the people with whom I'm annoyed don't read my blog.)

The reason I'm annoyed is that Dell just recently launched a corporate blog.

I don't particular care for Dell, nor do I hate them. (Unless we have a strategic partnership that I don't know about, in which case I absolutely lurve them.)

As blogs go (even corporate blogs), it was pretty lame. Of the first eight entries, the first seven are pretty much video product brochures and press releases (essays, if you want to be charitable.)

Then, the Committee for the Propagation of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice and the Dissemination of Best Practices [Blogging Division] got ahold of it.

And the virtual truncheons started falling.

"You're not being transparent!" *WHAM*

"This isn't real!" *BOOM*

"OMG, you guys don't get it!" *CRASH*

"Where are the links? I see no links!" *THUD*

"Blogging is conversation!" *WHACK*"

The eighth entry, of course, is all about a properly-chastened Dell falling over themselves to be authentic, and transparent, and real and all that good blog stuff.

Now, I agree with all these folks in an academic sense. I've inflicted my own advice on people, both in this blog and elsewhere, about why and how I think companies (and people) should blog.

But, folks, if some company wants to have a crappy blog, let them.

Instead, we have a virtual feeding frenzy: Hey, I'm piling on Dell! I've got credibility! See my blog, buy my book and see me speak at the next conference! Let's all pound on Dell and then on each others backs as we congratulate each other for getting social media. High five! (Visit my blog! Subscribe to my feed! Love me!)

If "eyeballs are currency," I guess that makes all us bloggers Attention Whores.

Even better, let's get all righteous as we guide companies onto the Eightfold Path to enlightened corporate blogging, which will of course save the world.  Oh, no, wait, I forgot: This is marketing -- we're not saving the world, we're figuring out ways to better sell [stuff] to people, most of which they don't need (which is why it needs to be marketed in the first place).

Anyway, I don't have a neat little bow with which to wrap up this entry, so I will just say that I believe in world peace and ponies for everyone.

(Please note that this is not some passive-aggressive "Look at me, look at me!" plea for attention. The people who read my blog don't care, and the people who care don't read my blog. I just got annoyed again.

Also, just as last time, this blog entry is rated approximately 50-65% serious, which is down from last year's 60-75%.  Especially the part about the truncheons. And the attention whoring. And the part about marketing not saving the world. I note that this similar disclaimer cut me absolutely no ice last time.)

Thanks -- Joe

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always funny when tech guys blog after they drink.

Anonymous said...

I'll have what you had please! LL

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,

I know what you mean, the emoticon of your face in that picture would be ( -.- ). If anyone in the tech field needs corporate transparency it would be AOL, Microsoft, Dell.   I'd like to think Dell is trying to play it safe; since blogging can be a double-edged sword. Its their tactics that hurt them this round. However, it adds accountability which a megacorp like Dell could use.

I'll give it time and observe if they adapt to their reader's wants. So far, the top posting has 100 comments. Skimming through it there's two main responses "Okay, we're glad your listening..." and disapproval for turning their blog into advertising posts.  I'll give them a chance to bring their blog back to a proper, open dialogue. Its okay, sometimes mistakes happen. Blog is better than No blog.  They aren't in my RSS Feed reader just yet ;).

- Joe Manna -
AOL Member Services, Windows Tech
Happenings - http://journals.aol.com/josephmaaz/happenings/

Anonymous said...

I've actually been called an attention whore before.... once, in a Food chat, I even got called a "recipe slut."