Wednesday, July 5, 2006

A Few Fourth Fireworks Fotos

Okay, so you know that entry I posted last week with a link to tips on photographing fireworks with your digital camera?

Well, when the time came, I have to admit I didn't use a one of them.

I just braced my camera against a lamppost and hoped for the best (though I did have the flash turned off -- it doesn't help in situations like this):

July 4, 2006 Fireworks in Leesburg, VA
July 4th Fireworks in Leesburg

You ever notice how pictures can look really good on the little 2-inch screen on your camera, then when you download them and view them on your computers, they look like crud?

Fireworks Fountain on the Patio
Fireworks Fountain on the Patio

I think I used the long shutter setting for this one -- it's just a fireworks fountain before the main event.

Anyway, originally, I wanted to make this an entry about comparing a few free programs for editing your digital photos, but it's kind of hard to really tell the difference with fireworks photos (at least with mine), so I will have to use some other photos as examples in a later post.

Thanks -- Joe

Tag: , , ,  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no idea why on my camera if I leave the flash off it wont take on fireworks but on it does. I had to zoom in for the fireworks that were two miles away but I got some awesome pics

Anonymous said...

Great fireworks Joe.  Hey, gotta question.  When I go to do a background in my html the link to my ftp space won't stay highlighted and underlined to make a connection to my ftp space.  Can you fix this for me so I can do backgrounds again, pretty please???? Will you email me any possible answers to my screen name?  Thanks Joe.  Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

PhotoStudio 2000 (free with my scanner years ago) and MS Office Picture Manager did a fine job with mine.  I used the "fireworks" setting, no tripod, on my Nikon digital. Half my photos were blank, but I was lucky to get anything decent at all.- Karen
http://outmavarin.blogspot.com/2006/07/fireworks-from-afar-and-neighborhood.html

Anonymous said...

The best part about Joe's fountain photo method is that you can then turn the camera at yourself for the imminent "I lit my own hair on fire" photo.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa -- Since your Journal is private, I can't really see what you're referring to. If you're using CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) to embed backgrounds in your Journal entries, you may be overriding the link styles. Are the links still clickable (and just not look clickable), or are they not clickable at all? If that's the case, you may need to fiddle with the CSS, or explicitly define a link style in your CSS.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)