Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A Stunning Reversal?

Hi folks -- I'm actually in an offsite conference right now, but we haven't really started yet, so I thought I'd do a photo shoot entry.

It's been a while since I participated in one of blogger John's Monday Photo Shoots, and I am afraid to say that my participation in this one (Life in Negative) constitutes something of a fraud.

This is because the source photo (from my entry about July Fourth) is a fireworks photo -- here's the negative version:

Fourth of July Fireworks, Colors Reversed.

Since it's a fireworks photo, it's got large areas of really sharp contrasts, plus it's shot with a long shutter, so there are all kinds of strange streaks of light -- that means it's already kind of striking, so reversing isn't really revealing anything new.

On a photo note, even though I have Photoshop, I used the freeware Irfanview program that John mentioned. It's primarily a photo viewer program (it does easy slideshows), it's a quick and easy way to crop and resize photos, and it also does batch conversions. It supports plug-ins and is very functional (though it works fine as a stock download), and of course, it's free.

In order to use it to reverse the colors, just open the picture you want to convert, then from the menu, select Image > Negative -- it will flip the colors of the photo:

Reversing Colors in Irfanview

You can then save the inverted photo as a new image file and upload to your blog in the usual way.

Thanks -- Joe


Tags: ,

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, cool photo!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I am very impressed...I see an artistic side of you :). I hope you don't mind I snagged your entry and posted the link, explaining how it was done :).

http://journals.aol.com/rap4143/MyDayMyInterests/entries/1550
Betty

Anonymous said...

Very impressive and unusual, thanks 4 sharing

Anonymous said...

Love this pic.... it's really stunning!!  Not sure how to e-mail you, but I have a question I was hoping you could help me with....  I don't know how to get my hit counter started.  Can you e-mail me at PreciousOne25@aol.com

thanks,
Joann

Anonymous said...

It looks like an errupting underwater volcano with a really freaked out sea anemone.  It even looks like one blew up.  There are anemone needles everywhere.  Oh!  The horror!

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

I would never have thought fireworks!
Tess

Anonymous said...

Kinda looks like something from a laboratory slide doesn't it?

http://2writehands.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe :)

I like it. I looks like a an abstract painting. :) Reminds me of Kandinsky. :)

Always, Carly
http://ellipsissuddenlycarly.blogspot.com/2006/07/your-monday-photo-shoot-life-in.html

Anonymous said...

That turned out very pretty. It does look like a painting. Helen

Anonymous said...

Very cool effect, Joe. Good choice for this project!

Anonymous said...

I did a negative on a few of my fireworks photos, and they didn't look very interesting at all (so I didn't use them).  Yours is awesome! - Karen