Thursday, July 27, 2006

Alerts Test

Hi folks -- the Journals folks asked me to help test the Alerts fix -- the fix is scheduled to be installed tomorrow morning, and it's supposed to work in beta now, so I'm posting from the Journals beta.

[Update: It looks like it works.]

A-ha, you say, but didn't you say earlier that posting from the beta stopped triggering the New Entry Alert a little while back?

Well, yes, but the Journals folks say that they fixed that, too.

So, in summary, if you get this alert, that means that you can post from the Journals beta and people will get your Alert, in addition to getting them to work again on production.

If you want to give the beta Alerts fix a test, just post to your beta Journal, which you get to by adding "beta." to the front of your Journal's address -- for example, my Journal's beta address would be: http://beta.journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/

Note that changes that you make to your beta Journal are picked up by your real, production Journal.

Please let me know in the comments if posting from the beta triggers the Alert properly, and we'll await the successful installation of the fix tomorrow morning.

Thanks -- Joe

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have NO clue what journals beta is! I just make entries like I always do,wish they'd quit messin with all that, it's so madening.... and confusing

Anonymous said...

I got your alert.... Tawnya

Anonymous said...

Joe,
I'm not sure if it's a local issue with me, but when I click on Add Pictures when editing a journal, IE 6.0 and AOL 9.0 both decide to hang. Firefox does NOT have this problem and neither does Netscape. Any ideas?

Anonymous said...

Jools -- the Journals beta is just a testing environment where people can try out the new features before they get installed to production.

(In software development, "alpha" is early development, "beta" comes later, then finally GM, or "golden master", when it goes out for real).

Sometimes beta features never make it out to production, sometimes they do. You don't have to visit the beta site if you don't want to, but some folks like to get a sneak preview of the new features.  Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

I got it. I felt so alone!

Anonymous said...

This is my first alert, I got all day~

Anonymous said...

I am alerted also Joe.
Betty

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

None of my subscribed friends got my entry alert when I used beta to post my youtube videos.  :(  So I guess alerts only work with the normal version of journals I'm thinking.  
http://journals.aol.com/chrisuab/noseriously

Anonymous said...

Chris -- I'm not sure why your Journals alerts subscribers aren't getting your Alert when you post from beta. I've been posting all my recent entries using the beta (for tagging), and I've been getting notifications okay (I subscribe to my own New Entry alert so I can see what's going on).

I will have to ask the Alerts folks.

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)