Monday, July 17, 2006

Bye to Boss Bob

The AOL and sports blogging community suffered a great loss over the weekend.

Former Blog Boss Bob Wooldridge, longtime AOL guy, one of the principle creators of Sports Bloggers Live, my boss up until he left the company in May, and my friend, died on Saturday after being hit by a car in a tragic skateboarding accident. He was 42.

Yes, leave it to Bob to exit this world on a skateboard.

He was pretty well-known to AOL's sports blogging community, as he played an active role in SBL, especially behind-the-scenes, as a tireless advocate of blogging and promoting the community that sprung up around it and the show.

Here he is with the SBL crew -- he's kind of hiding in the back row, left, between intern Chris's big melon and Jamie's finger:

Bob and the Sports Bloggers Live Crew

Here's a well-deserved close-up:

Boss Bob

I didn't know it at the time, but as I was reading the Sunday paper, there was a short blurb about him in the Metro section: "Skateboarder Hit by Car, Killed."

As I skimmed the page, one thing jumped out at me -- the victim was 42. You don't really expect that when you see "skateboarder." It was kind of unusual, something that sticks with you. You don't dwell on it too much, though -- turn the page. Maybe remember to send the link off to a friend the next day as one of those odd death stories.

Then I got the phone call later that evening.

Jamie over at Mr. Irrelevant's Sports Blog shares the contents of a farewell letter that he never got the chance to send to Bob -- it's a far more eloquent message than I could ever write, so go check it out.

Also check out Jeff's entry in his Pixel Pusher blog, featuring video of two of Bob's top bands -- the Ramones and the Replacements.

For my part, here's a picture of a book that Bob gave me before he left the company -- it's the illustrated collector's 25th anniversary edition of 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy':

Boss Bob

Bob, we will always have our stories and our memories. You will be missed.

Thanks -- Joe


Tags:

If you do an entry about Bob and want to tag it so that others can find it, try using the Technorati tag "bob wooldridge" -- you can go to the beta and tag your entry from there, or just use the following code that you would paste while in HTML editing mode:
<br>Tag:
<a rel="tag" target="_blank"
href="http://technorati.com/tag/bob+wooldridge">bob
wooldridge</a>

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about your friend.... I know what it is like to lose someone close to you.....Tawnya

Anonymous said...

:o(

Anonymous said...

Friend.  Sudden.  Unexpected.  Loss.  Sends shockwaves through the mind and body.  So difficult to absorb the reality of a friend gone long before his time.  So sorry, Joe.  

Anonymous said...

Joe, my sympathies to you, his family and co-workers.  Losing a friend is never easy.
Betty

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend, Bob.  :(  Julie

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hi all -- thanks for your comments of support and condolence. We appreciate it over here. Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I wish I wrote well instead of funny...



http://journals.aol.com/monponsett/HighAboveCourtside/entries/1662

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about the loss of your friend. So sorry that his son had to be there when it happened.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't sleep last night thinking about what happened to Bob. He will be sorely missed. Thanks for paying tribute.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe,
My Deepest Condolences with your loss of your dear friend and former boss
Bob Wooldridge. Joe I can tell from what you and Monponsett say that he was such a wonderful person. Condolences ot his family and his freinds at Aol.
yours truly,natalie

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe

I am so sorry for your loss. I have lost two friends in the three years since I began blogging, both of whom I met through the AOL blogging/journaling community. I still feel their loss. Take it all slow, remember them fondly, and know that when it's time your sadness will be transformed into thoughts of the good times you shared. Time is the healer. I will think gentle thoughts your way. My condolences to your colleagues as well.

Always, Carly

Anonymous said...

My condolences on your loss.  From all I've read, he sounds like someone I'd call a friend.

Anonymous said...

h