Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Preview of the Woohoo Photo Thingy (It's Nifty)

Hi folks -- as I just mentioned in my R7 preview
post, the guys over at AOL
Pictures
just launched a new photo-display
thingy
that you'll be able to use in your Web pages and
blogs -- it's called woohoo:

As you can see, you can click and drag the photos around -- double-clicking photos enlarges them, etc.

Like the AOL Pictures folks say
in their blog entry
, this is an early test
version
, so it requires that you have an AIM Page profile first.
Later versions of woohoo will have more features and won't require that
you go through AIM Pages first -- this was basically a slick
implementation that they put together really
quickly.

I'll do full instructions once the Journals
guys push R7 to production (tomorrow, 7/27, fingers
crossed).

In the meantime, you can play with woohoo
in your beta Journal (just add "beta" in front of your Journal's
address,
like:
http://beta.journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke
You
might want to create a test Journal to play around with, instead of
messing with your real Journal).

For example, here
is my AIM
Pages profile
, which, to my enduring shame, I still haven't
done too much with.

If you note, the photos in my
AIM Page profile's photo module are the same photos that show up in the
woohoo module above.

The basic steps for getting a
woohoo photo thingy in your Journal
are:
  1. Make an AIM Page profile -- make
    sure it has a photo module in
    it.
  2. Add photos to
    the photo module -- you can copy them from your existing AOL
    Pictures
  3. Go to woohoo.aim.com, then follow the
    instructions
    and click
    publish
  4. Take the
    HTML code that they give you, and publish it to your Beta
    Journal.
Like I
said, I will provide full instructions with screenshots and all that
after R7 goes live to production.

If you do stick a
woohoo in your Journal, show it off! -- Leave a comment in this entry
with a link to your entry so we all can see
it.

Thanks -- Joe

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kinda looks like the Flickr thing...only on acid.

Anonymous said...

speaking about the the new AIM profile thing. I can't get mine to work right at all. I did send a feedback e-mail but have not received one response as of yet. I tried to delete it and go back to the original profile but that won't work either.  Any suggestions? I am not a happy camper.