Monday, July 31, 2006

About Comments and High-Traffic Blogs

You know, I've said a couple of times previously that in my opinion, blogs that don't take comments aren't really blogs -- they're just kind of bloggy.

I still think that holds true for normal, regular-people's blogs. But I think I have to take into account the specialized nature of the really high-trafficked, "A-List" blogs (or whatever you want to call the really popular blogs that get a lot of attention).

Case in point -- normally, Gawker has an invite-only comment policy. However, at 5pm this past Friday, they opened up commenting by posting a username and password that anyone could use.

Things went downhill from there [language warnings -- I mean, it is Gawker after all]

They turned off open commenting after 30 minutes. I'm not sure if they deleted any comments, but there are about 80 left, including some by their invited commenters.

The really high-traffic blogs are a different kind of animal; because they're so popular, they attract a lot of eyeballs, which means they also attract a lot of attention from people who are attracted by a lot of eyeballs.

This group of people includes:
  • Spammers -- people who want to try to drive traffic to their affiliate marketing Web site (or whatever) for monetary gain.
  • Self-Promoters (a.k.a. "Attention Whores") -- people who want visitors to their Web pages or blogs. This isn't so bad in itself, but the lengths they'll go to drop their URL, usually in a manner that doesn't even pretend to be relevant, is what kills things.
  • Morons -- Generally, people who just want to piss in the punch bowl (Can you tell I've been reading Gawker? They probably would have used a different bodily function, though) -- people who want to get a thrill from anonymously saying naughty things where lots of other people will see them.
Gawker is probably also a special case, since their content usually is centered around bad words and naughty thoughts -- live by the sword, die by the sword, eh?

Anyway, there are lots of different strategies for trying to moderate lots and lots of comments, but best ones involve devoting human resources to the job, which some folks aren't prepared to deal with. (Peer moderation is another strategy -- having fellow readers and commenters take a role in policing comments -- that's worked to varying degrees.)

Thanks -- Joe

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what are you having for dinner?

http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

I was thinking about fish, but it's tough to decide.  Mondays are not good fish days, ya know?

http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anyway, have a great night.

http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

-DP

P.S.  You can delete this little exercise in self-promotion if you wish, or you can make an example out of me like my third-grade teacher.  I couldn't resist.

Anonymous said...

I think you missed the bit about this being primarily a problem for high-trafficked blogs, of which mine, sadly, is not one. Of those. High-trafficked blogs, that is. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Don't sell yourself short, Joe.  Lots and lots of folks swing by here.  

And hey!  Since I'm here, are you going to be doing another six-pack thing anytime soon?  I'm just curious.  

-Dan

Anonymous said...

Speaking of High traffic blogs; which AOL Journals is the most visited? Just curious.
Anyhow, Gawker media is lame, eh, I get my news and opinions elsewhere :)

Joseph Manna
Happenings | http://journals.aol.com/josephmaaz/happenings

Anonymous said...

Last 'Big Brother' TV season, my AOL Journals product blog - http://journals.aol.com/etvjackie/BigBrother6LiveFeedReportsandMor/ hit a half million hits in three months.  I always left comments open and didn't have trouble with spam.  Sometimes I had to stop commenters from squabbling with each others.  Sometimes I had 50 - 100 comments on a single entry.  

I relocated the blog to Blogspot, leaving comments open to anyone.  A couple of weeks ago I had to add word verification as spambots got me with over a few hundred spam comments within a two day period.

I find I can't always reply to every comment and don't even try.  But, I love the comments and find it kind of builds its own little community.  Right now, I'm nowhere near Gawker, but I'm getting around 5000 unique hits a day and nearly twice that in page views.

I think I may still hold the record for the most hits within three months, possibly even years, on an AOL Journal.  ;-)

--Jackie
http://jackiestvblog.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I've been called an Attention Whore before.

I've also been called a Recipe Whore, but that was in a Food Chat room.

Anonymous said...

Yeah.... which AOL Journals get the most hits.

Not talking you or Scalzi, either... just regular, non-paid folks.

Anonymous said...

I have received no alerts since Saturday.  Help !! I talked with aol live tech support and they were no help !!!   I'm in need of alerts !!!!  Thanks

Anonymous said...

I think the best way is to allow comments only from those with "open IDs" to avoid spammy comments; apart from that there's always comment moderation!