Friday, October 27, 2006

Weekend Blog Picks 10/27/06

I've said it before: Halloween is Christmas for weirdoes and the weather outside is frightful, if you get my drift. We'll be back to the Guest Editor programming next week, don't you worry. But this week, I just had to seize the spotlight and highlight some spectacular Halloween blog content from the weird wild Web.

I'm a pretty huge horror buff, but it hasn't always been that way. Horror movies used to scare the absolute whoopsies out of me. I read the 'Creepshow' comic book as a third-grader and bedtime was freaking cancelled that week, let me tell you. In middle school, I once drew a cross above my bed in pencil to ward off the concept of Freddy Krueger. When I finally did see 'Nightmare on Elm Street' for the first time, it was through the protective veil of my best friend's afghan. I was 17.

Now I wear a skeleton-printed T-shirt as a default, and I listen to the Misfits like whales eat plankton. It's an obsession that may be slightly prolonging my bachelorhood, but screw it. Like
John Waters said, "Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." Around Halloween the Web erupts with stuff I just love -- weird music, creepy vintage art, and all the stuff that I crave year-round. So, without further ado, here are some blogs that make my inner Count cackle with garish glee:

Bruce Campbell is the contemporary horror fan's superhero. He's starred in 'Evil Dead,' 'Evil Dead II,' 'Army of Darkness,' 'Bubba Ho-tep' and had bit parts in both 'Spider-Man' films. It's even rumoured that he'll be
playing a Spidey villain in the upcoming 'Spider-Man 3.' He's got a Web site that perfectly mirrors my perception of his personality, complete with blog page. In this post, he describes a 'Celebrity Death-Match, Horror-Style.'

Halloween are horror music is a huge part of my life, year-round -- here are a few awesome repositories of horrific tunes:

The Essential Ghoul's Record Shelf has all kinds of rare, kitschy and unabashedly crappy horror-themed tunes, including the theme to one of my favorite films of all time: 'Spider Baby.'

WFMU's
Beware of the Blog is a superlative blog year-round, but this Halloween MP3 post really takes the biscuit -- it's got spooky kiddie records, cool mixes and awesome old-time horror radio. When I listen to this stuff I can feel my actually consciousness expanding with love, each pore in my skin widening into a tiny mouth that shouts "hell yes!" in unison. Is that weird?

When my uncle first bought his house, it was completely infested with fleas. We walked out of there with itchy black ankles crawling with ravenous fleas. See, when fleas are born in the absence of a food source (like in a empty house) they put all their resources into breeding so that even if they die of starvation, their nasty little bloodsucking bloodline lives on. And we all know that fleas lay like, a billion eggs at a time, so just imagine that -- a house full of nasty little vampires breeding and breeding and maybe eating each other for the strength to breed some more.



Now imagine if instead of fleas, that was how real human-sized vampires worked. The nastiness of that little image is in direct proportion to the awesomeness of Scar Stuff, another blog featuring spectacular Halloween music.

No Smoking in the Skull Cave is a pretty righteous blog in its own right, but the author's roundup of overlooked horror recommendations is pretty much exactly what I'm putting in my Netflix queue right this second. Content warning ahoy -- cuss words and occasional tasteful naked ladies abound.

DataJunkie's got a rockin' blog of high weirdness, spooky stuff and crappy pop-kitsch product galleries. He's taking a little break from blogging, but to tide his readers over he's packed this post with cover scans from all kinds of Marvel horror comics.



So there you have it, folks -- my weekend picks. Have a spooky, safe weekend.


**Update** I'm putting together a post of AOL Journals Halloween-themed content next Monday. I've gotten a few submissions already, but please send all you've got. If you have a Halloween-themed blog or blog entry, either mail me a link or leave it in the comments here and I'll be sure to include it!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just kind of curious.  Why were no AOL blogs picked?  This has bothered me for awhile.  Sometimes there are more nonAOL blogs picked then AOL blogs.  We are AOL, aren't we?  We have an excellent selection to pick from right here.  Just wondering.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to Bruce Campbell's site, which I've now added to my favorites.

Dan

http://journals.aol.com/slapinions/Slap-Inionscom

Anonymous said...

Krissy,

Thanks for pointing this out with a comment. Our goal with the weekend blog picks is to expose the audience to blogs that you may not have seen before, and I didn't think these would be that familiar to the Journals audience.

Also, I have an exceptional interest in Halloween, and I really felt that these picks best highlighted the sort of content I'm passionate about.

I completely agree with you that AOL Journalers should be highlighted as well. I was planning to do another Halloween post on Monday featuring member-centered content. I've gotten a few links thus far, but if you guys have a Halloween-themed journal or entry, please send it to me or leave them in the comments.

Thanks again for your concern, and send me whatever you've got!  

Anonymous said...

    Come and visit me for a week long Halloween celebration. Lizzie Borden stopped by the other day, and today we visited a haunted house and cemetery. Tomorrow there will be another suprise! Happy Halloween!
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

Cool entry. If you want, I'll add you. Just email me -thegrim316@aim.com.
Peace out.


The Grim

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,
I have done some Halloween themed posts during October. I would like them added to your AOL Halloween list on Monday. Here are the links:
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/entries/1498
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/entries/1497
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/entries/1489

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say thanks for the picks - they are wierd and spooky alright!
Kate.

Anonymous said...

If AOL is willing to cover my bail-money, I'll go cover the annual Halloween party in Madison, WI.  Chances are, it'll make CNN again this year since the Badgers won, and with the high winds blowing the way they are, I'm pretty sure the pepper spray will have an extended range.  

http://www.dane101.com/topics/adventure/halloween

It's a lot like Mardi Gras, only a bit more surreal since everyone is wearing costumes.  In other words, it's right up your alley.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

YAY HALLOWEEN! ^^
~Amber

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!http://journals.aol.com/dirtygirl1616/haunted-philadelphia/
This is my spooky journal....Have Fun!

Anonymous said...

Your Halloween selections are creepily fabulous.

Count me in for your Monday round-up.

High Heel Race: The Running of the Drag Queens
http://journals.aol.com/gayesteditorever/WorthRepeating/entries/2006/10/25/high-heel-race-the-running-of-the-drag-queens/479

and

Play Dress-Up with the Scissor Sisters
http://journals.aol.com/gayesteditorever/WorthRepeating/entries/2006/10/27/dance-with-the-scissor-sisters/481

Anonymous said...

What a great post! Some really great reccomends for Halloween viewing pleasure. Thanks for sending the link to your site.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Love your Spooky Journal. Check out my Spooky Country Music page and link to Lucky Cowboy's Annual Halloween Spooktacular. See it at:
http://hometown.aol.com/roncowilk/roncowilk.html  Also visit Lucky Cowboy.net

Anonymous said...

www.Luckycowboy.net for Country Music Spooktacular!!!
LUCKY COWBOY USA