Thursday, October 12, 2006

'Lost': 'The Glass Ballerina' Tasted Like Fish Biscuits

I was underwhelmed by this week's episode. Maybe
that's too harsh. I wasn't overwhelmed, either. I was just kind of whelmed, I
guess. I seriously thought we were going to see some new characters this week,
but nope.

Finding out that Sun was a big fat lying cheat didn't rattle me much,
and don't get me started on the kiss. When Ben revealed that he had a connection
to the outside world, I had a brief flutter of "HA! Told you so!" which was
quickly replaced by disappointment at being able to figure out a plot point. If
this keeps up, I'm gonna start reading spoilers
online.

EW has a solid recap from last night, in case you need a
refresher. Me, I'm just jumping right into the meat of the
post:

Theories/Predictions:

1)
Clearly Sun's "disobedience" goes further than a little back-talk. There's a
chance that
Jin didn't father Sun's
baby
 after all.


When the Others find out the Sun is pregnant, I'll bet
they're going to get pretty freaking fascinated with her. And the're set up for
a big weird devastating reveal, too. Imagine if one of them tells Jin, in
perfect Korean, that the baby is not his. I'll bet Jin raises up his pimp hand
again and slaps the whole island silly.


2) Sawyer may meet his untimely
end
this season, as all
those who find romance on the island do.


3) It seems like there is, or was once, a romance between
Ben and Juliet. Something about Ben's
"You never made soup for
me"
and the way Juliet
smiled just, I dunno, tingled. Then the "Am I interrupting something?" from the
soon-to-be-gut-shot Connie made it seem like there really WAS something to
interrupt once.

And it makes sense that she'd have a problem with his air of authority
if they'd broken up and he was still technically the Others' boss. Kinda hard to
take orders from someone once you've seen them in their underpants, is all I'm
saying.

4) Is Ben trying to create an heir? It may explain
the fraying romantic tensions between Ben and the women in the above theory ...
and could explain all the child-napping. It could go a long way to explaining
his peculiar "romantic" overtures towards Kate, too.

5) When
Ben showed Jack the tape of the World Series, he killed a lot of popular wacko
theories in one swoop. They're not in purgatory, a time warp, all dead, nothing.
Everyone is really on the island and living in real time. Believable, yes.
Disappointing, too.

6) Ben is trying to turn Jack and
dangling freedom in his face,
as I predicted last
week.
It's not actually fun
so much as it is disappointing figuring this stuff out ahead of time, actually.
My smugness is a facade for a mouth full of ashes.

7) If Ben
has lived his whole life on the island, with no trips to the world not even
once, there must be something pretty danged fascinating about that island. Even
Manhattanites go to Jersey sometimes. Does Ben need the island to stay alive, or
is he tied in some other inextricable, sinister
way?

Easter Eggs:

This
episode was pretty short on Easter Eggs, near as I could tell. Any of you have
some from this episode, let it be known in the
comments.

However, I do have
this:

Do you people remember this from last week? Did this even
happen? Speculation on the web has been that it's a Photoshopped fake, a
fan-created image. I'm not saying it's not, but I will say that if that's the
case, said fan works at ABC and leaks things like this with official photo
releases. My photo editor and I scratched our heads long and hard over this
image yesterday ... and neither of us recognized it.

It's
got to be from a deleted scene and either released by accident or just to jerk
us around. Media jerking media around ... has the whole world gone mad? How are
we supposed to promote our rigidly defined liberal agenda if other media types
keep playing practical jokes on us?



Michael
Whalen

This isn't exactly an Easter Egg, but it's pretty hilarious.
Apparently these two dudes were just doing a bit of spring-break beachcombing in
Hawaii and stumbled on an unguarded 'Lost' set. Check out
their photoset on Flickr
here.


The Tail Section has a good roundup of the Eggs from last week's Season
Premiere
,
too.

Total Crap

Kate
and Sawyer's kiss in the rock yard was the steamiest pile of televised crap
since Nancy Reagan guested on 'Diff'rent Strokes.' Sawyer's been making eyes at
her since they both crawled out of the ocean, and he makes his move in front of
armed guards and passes it off as a test? There's flies buzzing around that
excuse. I don't buy it.

If Evangeline Lilly is held captive
in a sundress ten yards away, you don't wait until rock-breaking time to go for
the smooch. Any sane straight man would have gnawed through the bars on his cage
and kissed her around his mangled tooth stumps.

I feel
tricked. There's the opportunity for a lot of intruigue and genuine heat there,
and it's been kinda squandered.

So what's next? Any ideas,
any theories I missed? The hunt for Easter Eggs is long and slow. If you find
any, have any ideas, etc., just dump it all in the
comments.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Even Manhattanites go to Jersey sometimes" is a great line, Jeff.

Love the pic of the two guys who stumbled upon the Lost set. Hadn't seen that before.

Last night's Kate-Sawyer kiss wasn't nearly as hot as the one she laid on him when he was being held captive by Sayid.

Best,
Jamie
www.misterirrelevant.com

Anonymous said...

I love your "Lost" entries.  I try to stay away from "Lost" message boards and sites 'cause one time I spend 2 hours reading that stuff ... no joke!   LOL  It's just too addicting!

I was under the impression that Sawyer kissed Kate 'cause he knew he would be in trouble and he wanted to get an idea of what they were up against.

LORI

Who I am… underneath it all:  
http://journals.aol.com/scotthlori/DiscoveringMe

Precious Metal (A Spiritual Journal)
http://journals.aol.com/scotthlori/PreciousMetal

Anonymous said...

I saw that photo of Jack and the little girl last week right after the first ep aired.  I had the show TiVoed and went back through it 3 times to try and find it.  That scene never happened.  They never even showed Jack lying down from that angle.  I'm not saying it might not be a screen shot from a future ep that was leaked, but it wasn't in the first 2 shows.

Speaking of kids... Interesting note where are they all?  There were several on the plane that were swiped from the beach.  There was a scene from an earlier season where we saw a group of Others walking through the jungle from the knees down and there was one or two kids there... one had a teddy bear.  The Others are obviously interested in getting their hands on babies... so where are they all???

Anonymous said...

I'm French, I don't watch a lot of TV, and I may be thinking of the wrong show... but why doesn't the Professor just fix the boat?

Anonymous said...

Never watched the show...The Office is the only TV show I must watch...saw a close up picture of the kiss on the internet...lol...oh my....can I just see that part...lol..-Raven

Anonymous said...

WHat is Lost Easter Eggs???

Anonymous said...

I live for Lost and have never heard of these eggs you mentioned...what is it?  Have I missed something?

Robin

Anonymous said...

I missed the episode! I guess I'll watch this weekend online. I too wonder where the children are...my mind drifts to experiments and laboratories. Perhaps they're trying to create the perfect person?

Anyway, you're comments are a heads up as to what to watch for and consider. Maybe things will become cloudy again soon...

Jess
http://journals.aol.com/aurielalata/CIWTheOtherInvisible

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
We've started our Trick or Treat through J-Land. Hope you pop in for a  treat. BOOOOO!!!
Also have a tag to use with our entries, so people can find us easily. It's at the bottom of my entry, check us out.
Sugar
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/SUGARSLIFE/
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/MYBELOVEDFURRBABIES/

Hope you've had a chance to see my 2 new journals also, links are on my side bar.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,
I have taken on the role of compiling a new journal directory for AOL Blog/Journals, since Pam, who did the original directory is no longer with us. Could you please give this some publicity. I am asking people to send me the name of their journal and the correct link. The Address is:
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/20062007-journal-index/
Thanks,
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

Jeff, sent you an email this am re journal probs I am having. No reply yet. Is there someone else I can go to with questions when having problems, hate to bother you as I know your busy.
Sug

Anonymous said...

I don't think the World Series footage disproves anything. If it's in Hurleys head, if it's a version of Purgatory, if it's a dream - what's to stop the 'real world' from popping in for a visit?

And while I think Kate is hot I have to disagree with you here. I don't see that she looked good in that dress at all. It made her legs look stubby and didn't flatter her figure.

Anyhow, here's my take on the episode:

http://journals.aol.com/slapinions/Slap-Inionscom/entries/2006/10/18/lost-post-week-2/1955

Dan