Wednesday, October 11, 2006

New Journalers and a Goodbye for Now

Well, folks, I'm about off to foggy San Francisco to see one of my best college buddies get married. He's a brilliant sweet loving guy who talks a lot like the bus driver on the Simpsons and has a natural gift for getting bouncers to put him in a headlock. Something tells me that's going to happen a few times before the wedding on Saturday, and may even happen to him at the reception.

A guy can only wish the best for a buddy on his wedding day.

But before I go, I wanted to call your attention to a few new journalers that I've unearthed from the message boards, my mail, and various comments sections. If you want me to take a look at your blog, I'm always happy to -- just mail me a link.

I'm going to write as little as possible about them here -- I'd like you to see each blog through your own lens and give 'em a big welcome to the community as only you know how.

So here goes:

Tanya of Poetry About Nature loves nature, and when she's not writing poems and essays about it for her blog, she's outside drinking it up for herself. [Update: This Journal no longer exists.]

There's not getting around it: Missy of
Missyzstuff has it kinda rough. She uses her blog as a therapeutic tool and welcomes your input and advice.

Terry is a 43 year old grandmother who raises two small grandchildren. She's just started a new blog about her life called
This Grandma's Life.

Farley blogs about astrology, metaphysical, and spiritual topics at Astrology Explained.

Those Eyes That the Cherubim Drew is by a 44 year old man who's taking another shot at life.

This may seem like a bit of a cheat, butI wanted to re-mention Plittle's
CarnivAOL. Basically, you send him your best writing and he encapsulates it and promotes it every two weeks. Other new journalers, take note: this is a good way to get people to read your work.

There you have it, folks. Have a great weekend -- and a great rest of the week. I'll see you after jury duty -- the selection process is Monday, and I'll let you know when I'm back for real sometime Monday night.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky you! going to the foggy city?... in a wedding party? ... you will never be back... boooooo... Thanks for the new journals to read... you have been working hard today :D  feeling guilty before having a good time eh :D
I think I am drunk of tireness. Enjoy your mates.
let us know with one of your best posts when you are back
Ciao

Anonymous said...

I will be sure to check them out. I would have given you some wedding day advice..but your gone.  If another wedding comes up soon....please never ever grab the microphone and say "the dingos ate my baby" in your worst (my case, best) Aussie impression. The old folks do not get it, and well nobody but my strange son got it.  They took the microphone away from me...lol I hate weddings.
Hope your having fun.
Dwana

Anonymous said...

"It is better to give than it is to receive,,,, wedding presents, for instance"

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the wedding! Hope the jury duty isn't too awful. Thanks for the picks!
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

  Just so you know, that Farley guy is using his journal to refer traffic to a commercial website. I'm not sure exactly how that sits with the TOS police, but I always thought it was a no-no.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

Good luck on jury duty.  If you're selected, take a quick course in self-hypnosis because you'll need it to tune out the repetitious questions of lawyers.  If you are on a civil case, settle in for a longer haul.  As for the criminal, they're generally shorter, but not necessarily more interesting unless you have a murder or other big publicity crime.  Try to stay awake and keep some mints in your pocket in case your blood sugar drops.    J.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Jury Duty uh?   I was not well liked at jury duty.   i asked the prosecutor , defense attorney and judge if the jury could be promised that ALL evidense would be offered at trial and the judge (irritated) said that we would see all of the evidence that made it into the trial.....I told them that I was going to decide on the freedom of a person, I wanted to see it all....I would make the decision of relevancy....
you have the obligation to both sides to either get all of the facts or rule as a hung jury.....

Anonymous said...

No offense but with all the good journals out there you seem to keep picking crap.  And we all though Joe had bad taste.

Get with it dude.

Anonymous said...

Jeff, Thanks for featuring my Blog. I got a lot of hits this weekend.
You the man! Farley Malorrus, http://journals.aol.com/bestactor/astrology-on-radio-on-the-net/
Also, www.radioastrology.com
Take Care...
Farley

Anonymous said...

Good place to start. Two of those are fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Is there a lack of interest in being Guest Editor? I think I have asked this before.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I think they're all pretty great picks, and I've had fun reading them.  Not sure what all the fuss is about.  

Anyway, hope the jury duty goes well.  Show up in jeans and a Metallica t-shirt.  If you're going to wind up on a jury of someone's peers, that's the kind of peer you definitely want to be.  Endless laughs man.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Alphawoman, all,

There is no real lack of interest in being Guest Editor, although we are always looking for more. There's nothing I like more that having Guest Editors booked out several weeks ahead of time.

But: We reserve the right to add in our own picks from time to time, when it makes sense. And with my trip and jury obligations approaching, I wasn't going to be in town long enough to work with a guest editor for a weekly publishing cycle without stressing someone (and myself) out severely. This is supposed to be fun for all of us, after all.

Plus, part of my job is making sure that new Journalers get introduced to the community at large, and this way I could get six up front at once.

Now we're back to Guest Eds, though.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi!  I've a newbie blog. http://journals.aol.com/cristin710/outofthesmoke/. it's an attempt to get through my smoking addiction. it was also a homework from the Tobacco Free Program facilitator. I'm starting to enjoy blogging (though not everyday). Actually I got to your blog thinking that title "Magic Smoke will Smoke Less this Week" is about trying to be smoke-free as well. But even if not, it's great! Nice to meet you
Cristin    

Anonymous said...

h