Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Web-Based File Manager Is Here!

Hi folks...just got some good news from the product folks.

In a comment to my entry last week on hit counters, Ryanagi asked why the AOL UK folks had a Web-based File Manager, and we didn't.

Well, we do now: The Web-based File Manager is finally here in the US! http://hometown.aol.com/_fm

What
this means is that you can manipulate your files from any Web browser,
without having to use Keyword: FTP (or running a standalone FTP client
over your AOL connection). It's an easier way to get big, frameless photos into your Journals.

This is especially good news for our AIM Bloggers, since they also had 100 MB of Web space, but had no way to get to it...until now.

What this also means is that you now have the power to fiddle with your hit counters,
to restore "lost" hits (and, if you want to make yourself feel more
important by pumping up your hit count, well, you can do that too if
you really want to.) Read on.

First off, a few caveats:

* Consider this a public test.
We will be telling more people about File Manager, and adding it to the
navigation later, but first the tech folks want to observe how it
performs in the wild. [Update: 9/27: We should be good to go now; go wild.]

* Web-based File Manager does not
completely replace FTP; there are a few restrictions on the size of the
files you can upload -- each individual file you upload can't be bigger
than 500K, and your total for each upload (you can upload 4 files at a
time) can't be more than 1 megabyte.

* I've been getting some "Sorry, We Can't Find That Page" errors; hitting reload eventually does the trick. [Update: 9/27: We seem to be much better now.]

Okay, now here's how it works:

1. From any Web browser, go to http://hometown.aol.com/_fm; if you're not already signed in, you'll be asked to sign in with your screen name and password.

2. When you're signed in, you'll see the File Manager Main Screen:

File Manager Main Screen

3. Youcan either Browse My Files (work with your existing files) or Add New Files. I'm going to start out with Browse My Files:



This will start you out at the top level of your FTP storage space -- all the Web files you have stored under the screen name you're currently signed in with.

You'll notice in the upper right corner that it will tell how much storage space you're using (and how much you have left).

Looking
lower, you'll see files (such as your odometer files), and if you have
folders or subdirectories set up, you'll see those, too -- to look
inside a folder, click on the folder's name (for example, I have an images folder).

To view a file, you can click on its file name; to download a file you can also right-click the file name with your mouse and choose "Save As" to save it to your computer.

On the right, you can also see links to Add files to this folder, and also to Create a new folder. (Creating subfolders makes it easier to find files if you have a lot of them.)

4. Now, to edit, rename, delete or otherwise work with a particular file, click the blue Change button to the right of the file name.

5. The button will change into an arrow, telling you that you're working with this file. Also, the options on the right side will change, letting you View, Delete, Move, Rename or Copy that file:



Selecting
Move, Rename or Copy will ask you for more information (what folder to
move it to or what new name to call it); picking Delete will ask you to
confirm that you really want to delete that file.

6. If you want to upload a file, you can click Add More Files, which will give you a screen like this:

File Manager Add a File Screen

Note that where it says "Add Files to Folder"
will show the folder you're going to put the files; if you've got
another specific subfolder you want to put it in, you'll have to back
up a step, find or create that subfolder, and choose Add a File from
inside that subfolder.

(In fact, I used File Manager to upload
these screen shots, and I forgot to move to the images folder before I
uploaded them, so they went up to the top level folder. 
Fortunately, it was easy to move the files, as described above.)

7. You can select up to 4 files to upload at a time. No file can be larger than 500K, and the max total filesize for all 4 files has to be under 1 megabyte (as
mentioned, if you need to upload files bigger than that, you'll have to
use Keyword: FTP or a standalone FTP client over your AOL connection)

8. When you're ready to upload everything, just click "OK."

That's pretty much all there is to it. Play around with it and tell us what you think.

Oh,
and once you've uploaded those pretty pictures to your FTP space? To
add them to a blog entry, when you're creating or editing a blog entry,
click the blue Add Pictures from Hometown link, then select the file you want.

This entry is going a little long, so I will tell you how you can futz with your hit counters in the next post. Thanks. -- Joe

[Update: You can now use a standalone FTP client program (as long as it supports SFTP) to upload and manipulate the files in your Web storage space. This gets around file size limits -- see my entry with full instructions on how to do this.]

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow - it's brilliant!  I love it already!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe, we needed a simple way to add the pictures. I was told the UK had a much simpler way to to this and wondered how it was done, so now I know. Helen

Anonymous said...

Thanks!
Looks like File manager on Netscape and the AOL International services. I used it this evening via Firefox signing in. Uploaded the image just fine!

Anonymous said...

Excellent (my best Montgomery Burns impression).

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe!   I like it!  I got some error java messages when trying to delete though.  Also, I have to scroll down really far to see my options after I click on change.  Other than that it works great!

Anonymous said...

Thank You Joe !!!

I thought I had made an error while going to play a G Unit video (we keep a few songs in the links section) after I noticed that we were down about 2000 hits.

Anonymous said...

I love this!  Managing FTP space the old way was so tedious, and this was a cinch.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I having a bit of trouble using the add pictures from hometown. It is unavailable! Also the aol file manager decided that my screenname should start with a capital letter.

Anonymous said...

when I bring up my Hometown page, I do see the File Manager Main Screen. What I do see is this...Alphawoman's Sites....there is my blog and my photo page. Hmmmmmm, what is wrong?

Anonymous said...

Never mind, I got it to work...very cool!

Anonymous said...

well life stinks most of the time unless u have lots of cash thats all i know

Anonymous said...

Wow.. this is great!  I just started journaling and i learn something new each day.  This is nice, I didn't care for the small pictures and have to click to enlarge.. this is much much much nicer!!  Keep up the good work and thanks!
DesLily

Anonymous said...

Thank you so  much, I was wondering where to put files for later and pictures once I get them uploaded.  I'm going to go check this out.  

Anonymous said...

and I love it!!!!!!!!

:o)

Lahoma

Anonymous said...

Yes I love this little feature but how do I upload a photo album or can I even do that?

Anonymous said...

I am still having trouble with using the add pictures from hometown. It will not add anything that has been uploaded VIA of file manager. My screenname is csandhollow and the file manager is making it Csandhollow. I can find no way of correcting that on my end. Can you help?

Anonymous said...

I just added files to the add space in the new file editor. But when I went to click on my hometown they are not there like the pictures Idid when I used the MYFTPSPACE. where are the pics???????

Anonymous said...

Lori -- It depends how you usually get your pictures in to your blog or home page -- if you're using Easy Designer or 1-2-3 Publish for a Hometown page, you should see the photo in your list of images when you go to choose a picture.

If you're trying to get it into your blog, you should see your photo when you select "add picture from hometown."

You can also check out my latest blog entry, which explains how you can add photos to your blog:
http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/768

Hope this helps (posted & mailed). -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for that important info! I'm fairly new to 'uploading, downloading, changing, renaming, finding and deleting' anything, so that is a huge help to me. With your easy instructions I was able to go back and add a picture of a Raven I needed for my last Halloween entry. Although I'm not to sure HOW that 'frame' got around it??? lol I'm learing....~Diane~

Anonymous said...

Can you help me i am having trouble lately adding pictures to my blog and i went to your file manager link & all seemed to be loading but when the blue line was filled up it did nothing Thanks
Maxsox5

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

wut about adding your own music from ur desktop???

Anonymous said...

Hi Magic Smoke, lots of great info here!  Thank you.  I've got photo albums on my web space that I've been adding to using Bulletproof FTP.  I sign on to my AOL account, and then use the ftp client with all the right data (ftp:screenname@aol for l:p) but I find that 99% of the time I can't upload anything.  Then at random times, usually weeks after I last failed, it'll let me go with no problems at all.

Do you have any advice?  I upload a hundred or so files each time, so the new file manager is only going to be a very last resort.  Is there port-forwarding or other firewall type stuff I could try?

I'm on a school LAN accessed through a Linksys WRT54g, if that helps.  Help me, Magic Smoke, you're my only hope!

Drew (dckesler AT aol.com)

Anonymous said...

Hi Magic. I wanted to reduce the size of my picture and haven't been able to. Any suggestions? My blog is Deatha/Deatha's Theory

Anonymous said...

Hi Deatha,

Some of your options for resizing your pictures (you'll need to edit the picture on your computer and re-upload it) include:

* Opening the photo in the AOL Pictures Editor
* Editing your photo with Microsoft Paint (the photo editing program that comes with every Windows machine -- I think the command is "Stretch/Skew")
* Trying the free Paint.net program: http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/

Check out my entry on digital photo tips for a little more information: http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/907

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

Hey I've got a question.  Can you do any type of video clip to the blog? And if so how?  Or is there a way to get a free website threw AOL and link it from the blog to do a small video clip?  Thanks  CMV

Anonymous said...

ok question 2, how do you change the size of the pic?  Mine was way to big.

Anonymous said...

Hi --We're working on ways for you to add video to your blog; for resizing photos, you can use the photo editor that comes with your AOL software, or check out my entry here for more photo editing tips and links to free software:
http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/907

Best -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

Cool ! It's very great ! I used it to upload picture today, It succeeded!!
thank you !

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, wow I did it but one problem...how do I resize the picture? Its too big when I get it from my FTP space. - raven

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

QUESTION:  2/25/07  Just entered new journal entry but cannot add picture from AOL File Manager, where I have set up files and saved pictures to add to journal entries.  Last week all was fine.  Now only option I have is to add picture from AOL Hometown, which I haven't used since I set up my files in the file manager.  Any suggestions.  Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I would love to add a picture to my journal. BUT..

there is NO (Add from Hometown) any longer on my journal.

Just ADD PICTURES the old way.

HELP!!!

Mary Louise

mlrhjeh

Anonymous said...

Help....when I try to use this to update my hometown web page it won't let me upoad files into the myhomepage folder.....it's as if it doesn't exist...lets me look at files but not move them or upload into the myhompage folder....solution?