Monday, July 2, 2007

Monday Morning Catchup: Journals Status, CNN, and Mayoral iPhones

Hi folks -- here are a few items from over the weekend (or thereabouts):

* Journals Duplicate E-Mail Alerts on Friday: Noticed Friday afternoon that I was getting duplicate e-mailed New Entry Alerts for certain Journals. John from the Alerts team followed up and let me know that one of the back end servers was acting dodgy, but it should be okay now.

* AOL Pictures Maintenance This Morning: The AOL Pictures folks had some scheduled maintenance this morning. In the past, this kind of work had sometimes caused some problems with AOL Pictures in Journals, but this time around, the Journals and Pictures tech teams coordinated to make sure that your published photos would be unaffected.

If anyone has any problems with photos that they've previously published to Journals, please let me know. (Your photos almost always still exist in your AOL Pictures albums.)

The Pictures folks also rolled out some new features last week -- I will try to talk about it when I get a chance (though you might want to ask them over at the AOL Pictures blog).

In non-Journals news:

* CNN.com Launched Its Redesign: The CNN.com site is out of beta -- see their CNN Behind the Scenes blog entry about it.

It's a wider format, of course; there's more whitespace (buffer around words, images and sections) that I'm getting used to; it's not bad, I need to play around with it more before I can fully form an opinion.

* Apple's iPhone Gets Big City Mayors in Trouble: Apple's big iPhone launch was Friday. (I got to play with one on Saturday... they're pretty slick.) It was kind of a big deal, with folks lined up (even though it turned out there were plenty of them available at Apple stores -- quantities were more limited at AT&T stores).

Consumerist reports that staffers for DC Mayor Adrian Fenty jumped the line at a DC AT&T store. After an exchange of words, a finger was allegedly displayed.

DCist and Wonkette add their commentary.

Jumping the line is bad, of course, but waiting in line probably isn't much better if you're a big city mayor -- Philly's Mayor John Street caught some flak for waiting in the iPhone line ("How can you sit here with 200 murders in the city already?").

[Update: DCist updated their entry to say that the DC Examiner just reported that Mayor Fenty's office has ordered the iPhones involved returned. It's probably one of those closing the barn door things at this point, but there you go. I guess they figured they can cross the river into Virginia or head over to Maryland to one of the Apple stores.]

Thanks -- Joe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've got a question regarding adding pictures to my blog.  I like to align my smaller photos to the left with the text to the right.  In the past I could use the 'align=left' command in the html screen.  Then things changed and we had to add 'border=0'.  Neither seem to work for me now.  What am I doing wrong?  Has there been an update that I missed or did I lose a couple more brain cells?