Thursday, December 14, 2006

Some Journals Issues Today

Hi all -- You know, I'm not sure if you guys are going easy on me just because I'm getting back in the saddle (unlikely), but I haven't gotten any complaint reports about the issues I'm going to talk about from today:

* This morning around 11AM ET, for a short period of time (I don't know how long exactly), some direct links to entries broke, giving the "Journals not available" error. This was quickly fixed.

* International New Entry/Comment Added Alerts: I know Alerts have been problematic at times (please let me know if you have specific Alert non-delivery or misdelivery problems); probably due to the beta install this morning, we started seeing Alerts problems for non-US locales.


Looks like some of the changes on the beta version of Journals didn't play nice with the production version of the code, so these changes were backed out. All locales, US and International, should be delivering Alerts properly right now.

...except for France. AOL FR seems to still be having some Alerts problems. I will forego any French jokes and just say that the Alerts and Journals teams are working on it.

* AOL Pictures Integration: AOL Pictures was having some problems this afternoon; since Journals uses some AOL Pictures functionality, that effectively means we also had some problems this afternoon.

It turns out that Pictures had a hung (hanged?) server; they kicked it and it should be okay now.


As is normally the case with AOL Pictures problems, even if your Pictures don't show up in your Journal, they still exist and can be accessed by going to pictures.aol.com; you can re-add them into your Journal if necessary.


Usually people start screaming when AOL Pictures has problems, so I'm hoping it didn't affect too many people (for example, I didn't see any problems with my photos.)

Now's also the perfect time to introduct the new Journals Project Manager out in California, Leona, since she's the one who hipped me to the Pictures problem.

Leona originally hails from Ireland; she's been in her Journals role for about a month, trying rein in rowdy developers and rowdier schedules.

Leona's been playing around with Journals over at Leona's Daily Notes (I've added it to the sidebar of the Magic Smoke main page) -- please stop by and say hi.


So, it's been a pretty busy day today.


I haven't even talked about the beta yet and heck, I still haven't had the chance to change the name and photo in the JournalsEditor All About Me and associated profiles. Get to all that tomorrow.

Thanks -- Joe

Tags: , , ,

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have problems with direct links to individual jouranls too from email alerts today. My main issue is getting the fact that several of us have not been able to hear music on aol journals only for a while. we can hear it if its in a video but not when you ad auto start music. you click on music to get it to play but not auto start. Can you please help us out wtihthat its so nice to go to journals and hear holiday music. and glad your back JOE!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I hope you stay this time.  I've missed you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the introducion Joe!

Hey, I just followed the instruction on how to add an Uncut Video to a Blog entry and guess what  - It worked.

Check out your bowlings skills around 1min 29 secs into the video.

Lee

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are back. Magic Smoke had no magic without you.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Joe:) can you tell me when file manager is going to be fixed? i have tired everything i still get the error message gateway timeout. any new ideas why

Deb

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
I hate to slap you in the face with a problem we've been having as soon as you walk in the door, however, we have been having a terrible problem with the File Manager and Stephanie offers us nothing but words; no fix. Can you help us with this problem? I have a feeling if the job needs to be done - you're the motivator. We get continual error messages from File Manager and it only allows us to use it on occasions without too much fuss and time. I can't use AOL Pictures because it doesn't support the animation in my graphics.  Once again, sorry to intrude upon you since you just came back.
Have a great day.
Dianna

Anonymous said...

I had bunches of problems but since Stephanie Bam Bam had said they were doing an update I figured it was from that so I kept quite, Helen

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I havent had any problems at all with my pictures but I still have to sign in every time I want to leave a comment on anyones blog and I still have to be a guest to edit and add entries. I think my IE 7.0 should be in the next Stephen King horror novel,lol..~Raven

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I still have an issue with my File Manager on all my screen names that have journals attached to them. I get some weird error message. I did send a screen shot to Aimpageswill over a week ago, as instructed, but so far the mail has not been read.

It is most frustrating when I want to use it, as it is much easier and has far fewer steps to upload pics than my FTP Space. Do you know when this will be repaired and reliable. It works "sometimes" but most of the time it does not work.

Thanks for your response. Appreciate the help.

Jo
HP Miou, OurBelovedAngels  ( these are the ones I use most of the time.

Anonymous said...

I DID have problems adding photos to my journal yesterday!  I'll have to try again, then, being it wasn't just ME:)  -- Robin

Anonymous said...

I'm still having issues with File Manager.  Pulling out more hair every day!!!!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

dear Joe,\
so how does oen get rid of the button for number of readers?
natalie