Monday, December 18, 2006

Reminder: Journals R10 Install is Coming, 12/19 4AM ET

Okay folks -- I'm trying to get you all into the habit of checking first with Journals Product Manager Stephanie (in her BamBam blog) and (to a slightly lesser extent) Journals Project Manager Leona (in her Leona's Daily Notes blog) when it comes to pure product updates like scheduled maintenance, post-outage reports, and other Journals product announcements, but I wanted to make sure you all saw this.


Journals release R10, which is currently on beta, is scheduled to be installed to production, Tuesday, Dec. 19, starting at the usual install window of 4AM ET. Journals may be down during this time; we should be back up and running by 7AM ET.


The primary changes you'll see in R10 include:


* Tagging, the ability to label your posts with tags that will help link you to other blog entries that use similar tags, will finally be installed to production. It's been available in beta for a while, and I'm particularly interested to see how you folks use tags once they're available from the regular Journals site.


* Displayed Comments: One of the contributing causes to our earlier traffic-related outages was high traffic to Journals that had lots of comments. To combat this, we're introducing very basic pagination, where the direct link to an entry will show the 5 most recent comments, then all comments will be available one more click down.


* Whitelist Additions: There have been some additions and fixes to the whitelist of allowed functionality in Journals -- we'll be doing some demo entries when the updates are in (you can see Stephanie's previous R10 entries about Motionbox videos and SpringWidgets widgets).


That's pretty much the user-facing changes in R10. We'll talk more about it tomorrow after a successful install.


Thanks -- Joe


Tags: , , ,

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it all goes well.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Or, if you are one of the International AOL customers...nothing.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

Anonymous said...

Okay I was reading journals then had yours to read before finishing up (its 5;30 ) eastern time. May change later but yours would not come up everyone else did. I took the beta out of your tag and whalah here I am. dont know if you need to check into this or not. May fix its self by 7 am

Anonymous said...

Your beta-journal is not accessible, Joe - had to omit the beta.-prefix. My own beta has the same problem.

Anonymous said...

I'm still not really sure what Tags are/do.

Anonymous said...

Hi folks -- R10 is up; there are a few open issues but we seem to be generally up; beta Journals, however, which is where I had been posting (because of the tags) seems to be unavailable. I will get an entry up in a bit. Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Is this the reason that my journal is ALL SCREWED UP??? AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The text size is wrong ... the text does not fit in the center block of journal ... the edit/delete/add entry buttons are all in the wrong place and, in general, it all looks like crap!

Please explain why, with all the options out there, I should continue to put up with thus weekly nonsense. Please, someone, tell me this is all being fixed. Honestly, I am at the end of my rope here.

Anonymous said...

Hi James,

I took a look at your Journal ( http://journals.aol.com/jcc55883/TheMeanStreets/ ) in a few different browsers, and I don't see anything that looks out of the ordinary. Can you please send me a direct link to an entry that is giving you problems? A screenshot might help, as well.

Also, when you look at other people's Journals, do you see problems, or is it just yours?

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)