Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Goodbye, JournalsEditor -- Hello, JournalsEditor

Hi everybody -- this is Joe,
coming at you from the land
of AIM Pages.
I wanted to let you know that Editor
Jeff
has moved on from his gig as Journals Editor. Here's a
message that he wanted to pass along to all of you:
"Today I join the ranks of Jon Miller, Jason
Calacanis and a number of other digital ditch-diggers whose names
history will ignore ... today is my last day at AOL.


I'm actually pretty excited about it. I came here
as a desperate freelance writer and furtive amateur blogger who may or
may not have dooced
himself -- and am leaving with polished, solid skills as a professional
blogger, content creator, and programming manager. I'm looking forward
to sharpening my writing outside of a corporate setting and going where
the day takes me for a while, and I know I'm going to end up somewhere
good.

For a few months, I've been standing at the
end of the diving board and terrified to jump. Now that the lifeguard's
blown the whistle, I can tell you that the free-fall feels fabulous.


I have learned so much here from so many incredible
people, and I really feel ready to hit that deep water where the wild
things swim.

My personal blog can be found at And I Am Not
Lying, For Real
, and it's where my love lies. It's going to
get very awesome, very soon, and I encourage you folks to drop by next
time you've got some time to kill.

You guys have
been great ...

Lots of love,

Jeff
Simmermon"
Many thanks to Jeff for his hard work and
devotion to the Journals product and people, and best of luck. He'll be
missed.

As to the here and now, since I've stayed
fairly close to the Journals world, I'll be wearing both my AIM Pages
and AOL Journals blogging hats.

However, since I do
(inconveniently) require sleep, I'll be on a reduced content publishing
schedule for Magic Smoke and the Journals main
page
, and may put things like the Guest Editor Picks on a
holiday break (or call up some other AOL Editors or previous Guest
Editors to help me out -- I haven't quite figured it out
yet.)

Also, Stephanie will be
your first stop for Journals product news, issues, status and fixesin
her blog, BamBam!
-- which is as it should be, since she's the Journals Product Manager,
and we usually just run to her for answers on all of the hard stuff
(and a lot of the easy stuff), anyway.

For example,
Stephanie gives us the scoop on the R10
Beta Install
, which should go in on Thursday,
12/14.

In addition, other Journals team members will
be around to help talk about stuff, both in their own blogs and
here.

There's a lot of blog and other social media
planning going on for 2007, and I'm involved in a lot of it. 
We're working on some interesting stuff. In the meantime, I'll need a
little time to get caught up on Journals issues, so please bear with
us.

Thanks -- Joe

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe!
Nice to hear from you again although sorry to see Jeff leave. Sounds like he's happy though.
Hope you are well.
Dianna

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Joe

Dan
http://journals.aol.com/slapinions/Slap-Inionscom

Anonymous said...

Gee, do I get to be the first of us to welcome you back to your old digs?  Cool!  All the best to Jeff - great guy, excellent blogger - but this still feels like Joe's Place to me!

Karen

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Joe!:):)
hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

Dear Jeff,
We will surely miss you!
I will try to find your new blog!
You were very encouraging as a person here and you are very good as a writer!
Best of Luck,
natalie

Anonymous said...

Jeff is a great guy and I wish him luck but I can not deny how happy I am..I love warm blankets that I feel I know....glad to know your back and we know you need sleep...so we are all going to be nice,lol....laughing...happy to see you again Joe....-Raven

Anonymous said...

I wish you well Jeff.

Joe, nice seeing you back.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/JoyToTheworld
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/sometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

good luck Jeff and thanks for trying to help us out with all the awful journals problems we are experiencing.  wishig you well for the future.

Anonymous said...

Hello again and welcome back Joe.  Hopefully you will be able to help us with all the journal problems.

Anonymous said...

oh I hope you can help us with problems finally again I m glad to have you back we have missed you. can you please get the lowdown on why so many of us can not hear music in any jrounals ours or others. Bam said theere were several complaints and asked for my web page that had music on it and I gave it to her last week and havent heard anything on it. and its still not working. Its very frustrating at this time of year to NOT hear the holiday music everyone is sharing. I mean in less than two weeks its over and this season is gone!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I wish Jeff all the luck in the world.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Joe!!! Jeff did an awesome job while you were focusing elsewhere. He helped me with several things, and invited me to be Guest Editor back in August. I am so happy for his leap of faith, and I'll check out his other blog. But glad you are back, even if not in the frequency we are accustomed to. Bea

Anonymous said...

Joe please send Jeff our thanks for his awesome job.  Anything we can do to help you out let us know!!!!
Betty

Anonymous said...

I liked Jeff, but I was more used to you... so welcome back.

I'll do Guest Editor stuff any time you'd like. I loved being Guest Editor last year. Pick 24 consecutive hours of a week, and declare it Smurfday.

Either life in the hangar sucks worse than I think it does, Jeff got a great gig, they brought in a new manager who was an ****ole, or the man just went and committed Career Suicide.

Either way... best of luck to Jeff.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!! I am glad to see you return

Candy

Anonymous said...

Goodbye and Good Luck Jeff!!

AND, Welcome Back JOE!!!!

Anonymous said...

well I was gone when the change took place ... and I thought why did joe change his name to Jeff. Yep I'm blonde LOL.  Glad you're back you answered my questions even if it was just "go here" or "I don't know"

Welcome "home" lol

Promise

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Folks -- this is (former) Editor Jeff. Thanks a lot for your good wishes ... I really appreciate them.

This ought to clear any lingering questions up:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/13/AR2006121301328.html

It really didn't have anything to do with me at all. Some team of suits that have never met me put together a spreadsheet a while back and my name was on it. That's how it goes, and my words above are sincere.

I'd say in all honesty that Joe was one of the best bosses I've ever had, and I really learned a lot from him and from working with you guys directly.

I'll be in and out here, checking in and commenting here and there.

Anonymous said...

Arrrgh...  Corporate politics are madness.  I was curious how that axe would fall when AOL announced its new pricing options, and I'm sorry to hear Jeff was seen as an expendable resource.  But, it will be fun to watch where Jeff's world of words takes him.  I expect good things from his talents.

It's good to see you back, though, Joe.  I just hope the switching of hats doesn't overwhelm you.  But, if I can do anything to help in some way, gimme a holler.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for everything, Jeff - welcome back Joe.

Anonymous said...

I am happy for Jeff.
I am thrilled that you are back with us!!!!!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

I don't mean I am happy Jeff had to leave the way he did.  It sounded like he wanted to do different things and needed a little push in that direction.  As he states the free-fall feels fabulous.  

Kathy

Anonymous said...

They laid him off at f**king Christmas?? What kind of Grinch came up with that plan?

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to hear about Jeff leaving.  Hope AOL at least gave him a good severance package to get him over the holidays.

And a big "welcome back" to you, Joe!  You have been missed!

Sheila
http://journals.aol.com/wipforever/NeedlesandHooks

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!  Caroline
http://journals.aol.com/caromarls/ANewAdventure

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I would have matched your severance package if you told your boss, "Eff you... I'm not firing anyone on Christmas, you heartless SOB."

I'd have thrown in an extra $5k if you decked him/her, and would have covered your pro-bono lawyer court costs.

I'm glad to have Joe back, but Jeff seemed like a nice guy... too nice to get prison-raped by the system.

I just might have to go to Leonsis about this...

Anonymous said...

Woohoooooooooo JOOOE is back!

: )

Brandi

Anonymous said...

I'm running far behind.
Welcome back Joe, missed ya sweetie. ;)
Good luck to Jeff. {{ }}
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Oh.....You're BACK!!??
Where have I been?

Welcome Back Joe, you were dearly missed~
Marie

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Joe.  Although Jeff's time here was appreciated, MagicSmoke just wasn't the same flavor without you.  Welcome back!  :)
~Dee
journals.aol.com/crochetingwithdee/CrochetingWithDee