Friday, December 29, 2006

Double-Checking Your Alerts Settings

Hi folks -- Jimmy, who blogs over at The Stupidsheet Guy, wrote in with a suggestion for people about Journals Alerts:

If you're not getting New Entry or Comment Added Alerts e-mailed to you, and we're not experiencing any widespread Alerts problems, you might want to check your Alerts settings. I'll explain why in a moment -- here's what you do:
  1. Go to http://alerts.aol.com/ and click My Alerts in the top navigation bar.

  2. You should see a list of your current Alert subscriptions. For the Alerts you want to be getting, make sure the button in the Status column says "On", and that there's a little icon in each of the delivery methods you want to get -- AIM (Instant Delivery),  E-mail, and Device (pagers and cell phones):

    In my example above, you can see that I get an e-mail notification for my Comment Added Alert, as well as for the New Entry Alert for John Panzer's Abstractioneer blog --the little envelope icon means that e-mail delivery is turned on.

    However, I won't get any e-mail notifications for those other Alerts you see, which don't have the envelope.

  3. To change any of the settings on an Alert, click the "Edit" icon next to it (the blue pencil -- at least, I think it's a pencil), which will take you to the Edit screen for that Alert:

    Just check the delivery methods you want, and uncheck the ones you don't.

    (Tip: Clicking the AIM icon in Step 2 will pop up a similar settings box.)
The Alerts behavior changed a release or so ago -- people didn't understand the way Alerts delivery used to "cascade" -- if you were online, you'd get the Instant Delivery; if you weren't online, it would get e-mailed to you (and you might also have gotten an e-mail "archive" delivery.)

Apparently, some people had been signing up for an Alerts Instant Delivery, not knowing they would also get e-mail. They wondered where this weird e-mail was coming from, and they thought it was spam. So the behavior was changed so that Alerts didn't automatically "cascade."

Even with the new Alerts system, the Journals Alerts defaults should still be for Instant Delivery and E-mail delivery turned on, so just check that your settings are still the way you want them.

Thanks -- Joe

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have I told you lately that I'm glad you're back?  (not that that has anything to do with your current entry.)

Anonymous said...

Dude!  It's 11:00 PM on the Friday before New Year's Eve.  Sometimes, Joe, you just have to stop and ask: "Is this trip really necessary?"  

Don't get me wrong.  It's nice that you're up working and whatnots, and we appreciate it and all, but would you put a lampshade on your head and go wreck the town or something?  You deserve it.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

could you do another entry about feeds?  i'm playing around with them and mentioning it in journal and some of my readers are more lost than I am.  right now I'm trying out the google reader feeds.

Oh, great entry here by the way.  Sometimes I have to turn off an alert more than once to get it to take.  I'm not the only one this has happened to. any ideas?

so very glad you are back joe.  will we see another hello kitty calendar?

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Sorry Joe, it is not on this end, again and again...it must be AOL..sometimes my alerts come in nicely, other times nothing..sorry..but can't we get this fixed Joe???

Larryt39

Anonymous said...

I suppose I'd actually have to get comments to have this problem, so I'm off to the next entry.