Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Loot Shooting, Blogging Lawyers, James Brown & More

Hi folks -- I hope everyone had a great holiday. Also, happy Boxing Day and Kwanzaa.

I'm back at the office, and judging by appearances, I seem to be just about the only person here (which seems kind of wasteful, keeping the whole campus open just for me), but I don't mind.

In fact, I enjoy working the week between Christmas and New Year's, because it's dead time -- no one bothers you, and you can actually get stuff done.

Of course, I never seem to be able to do as much as I plan, and some of the stuff includes stuff like "Clean off desk", but it's all worth a check box on the To Do list.

(Looking back, apparently, I say this every year.)

Here's some other stuff:

* First, my contribution to blogger John's "Shoot The Loot" Monday Photo Shoot -- it's the latest addition to the top of my monitor:

See the cat on the red pillow? It was a stocking stuffer from my mom -- the medallion it's holding guarantees that wealth is heading my way.

(This raises the question: If -- I mean, when -- I strike it rich, will I keep blogging? The answer: Yes. However, I'll be paying someone to do it for me.)

* Next, here's a blog-related story that I bring back from Nuevo Jersey. I will convey it in Christmas-song parody format:
You better watch out,
you better not cry.
You better not pout,
I'm telling you why:
The lawyers are starting to blog.
Corporate America has been taking to blogging, and the law profession is no different: Lawyers who blog get to talk about the law, interact with their peers and policymakers, and, oh yeah, get in front of potential clients.

As long as they're not violating attorney-client privilege, I say, why not?

With regards to the question of whether blogging activities should count towards billable hours -- maybe you'd better ask a lawyer about that.

* I Guess We're Going to Be Hearing a Lot More "Christmas in the Ghetto" from now on: Finally, the blogosphere talked a lot about the passing of James Brown on Christmas Day (link points to a Technorati search of entries tagged with "James Brown").

If you blog your own remembrance of the hardest working man in show business, tag it with "James Brown" so you can also be seen in the mix.

Thanks -- Joe

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that you shouldn't be all alone as I believe BamBam made an entry today (of course she could have done it from home)

I LOVE, LOVE Marvin the Martian!

Still not too late to drop by my Christmas journal:'
http://journals.aol.com/onestrangecat/trying-not-to-be-bah-humbug/

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Since Stephanie is smarter than me, I would say that she's working remotely today. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Yup, I'm working this week - and just like Joe, I like working because it's dead. I posted saying just that ( http://journals.aol.com/stephaniebambam/BamBam/entries/2006/12/26/what-are-you-doing-now/958 ), then came over here and saw that Joe said the same thing.

What can I say, great minds think alike. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe, well I went through a few rounds with my kids,lol..."I dont want to share," kids lingo going back and forth and like ALLLLL day....I survived,lol! I cant believe your at work but to have a quiet atmosphere would be tempting. If yah get bored, here is a a site I go by. Real life client and professional bloopers. If I ever need a laugh, I find one here.
Hoping the best for you, Raven

http://adverbatims.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Can any of you " Magic Smoke" Lawyer ( Bloggers)
Tell me if this is legal?

<a href="http://www.herbalaffiliateprogram.com/herbalsmokeshop/aff_manager/newaff/redirect.cfm/i/2006120617">Check This Out</a>

Anonymous said...

Despite the name of this blog, and the title of this entry, I have no opinion on this particular matter. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Happy Boxing Day!