Monday, August 21, 2006

Your Monday Photo Shoot: My Camera and Me

Monday Photo Shoot

Hi folks -- since blogger
John
is on his well-deserved
vacation
, I'm doing this week's Monday Photo
Shoot.


Since I wasn't so good with the
planning-ahead part of this, I had to come up with a topic and a photo
from around the office (I could have dipped into my already-taken
photos, but that's no fun). Here's what I came up
with:

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Take a photo
that shows you with your camera.
A mirror or other
reflective surface
would probably help
here.

Also, tell us a little about your camera, and
how you use it. (This isn't a sneaky marketing survey,
incidentally.)

I got the idea from a previous entry
where
I talked about my camera.
I won't repeat myself, other than
to say that it's a Canon SD200, and I like that it's the size of a deck
of cards, though I think the small size makes it easier for me to
smudge the lens without realizing it.

I mostly use
it for snapshots, though I like to pretend I'm a real photographer.
Luckily, I have access to Photoshop -- it works wonders and lets me
continue my delusions.

As to why mirror
self-portraits?
A lot of times, when people post pictures of
themselves on blogs or profiles, they grab their camera and take a
picture of themselves in the bedroom or bathroom
mirror.

Since most digital cameras come with
self-timers (including cell phone cameras), I
honestly don't know why people do this. Granted, it may take some
trial-and-error, but self-portraits where you don't see the camera
generally look better. Plus, setting the camera down and using the
self-timer eliminates camera
shake.


So, I thought I would turn it
around -- try to take an interesting shot of you with your camera in a
mirror. (If you're shy, you don't have to show all of your face, but
please do try to include some part of yourself. Um, above the waist
and/or neck, please.)

Since I'm in the office,
finding a big enough mirror was kind of a problem. At first, I tried
taking a shot in the bathroom. Outside of, um, other considerations,
the lighting is pretty bad. Plus, I was trying to take an interesting
photo. Here's the heavily treated outcome:

Camera on Joe
Note
how the weight of the camera is making me cross-eyed.

So, I went around and stole a bunch of freebie mirrors from
my cow-orkers,
and that's what you see there. Since I never miss a chance to post a
photo of myself, four photos (sort of) should be even better,
right?

Anyway, enough of my blather: Take a photo
showing you with your camera, add
the picture to your blog
, then leave a comment here with a
link back to your blog.

And even though it's called
the Monday Photo Shoot, you have pretty much until Thursday to
participate.

Thanks -- Joe

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
No I'm not going to submit a pic of myself and my camera LOL
What I'm here for is to say that I hope you enjoyed the anniversary chat last night as much as I did. I logged the event for posterity, and the log is available for viewing from my journal, Northern Trip. Am currently calling round all those who participated, all 94 of them.

Best wishes,
Guido

Anonymous said...

Joe, that is a great picture! I loved it! I would do it but I avoid all mirrors these days,lol...I'm growing out my gray and if I peak, I may change my mind. Cant wait to see what the other AOL folks do with this. Will be fun!

Anonymous said...

Joe I am in :)
Betty
http://journals.aol.com/rap4143/MyDayMyInterests/entries/2006/08/21/monday-photo-shoot-take-a-photo-that-shows-you-with-your-camera./1594

Anonymous said...

 Hi Joe, neat photo shoot.  I also hate pictures of myself and avoid it but here is one that will have to do.

 http://journals.aol.com/midwestvintage/MyPhotoJourney/entries/2006/08/21/monday-morning-photo-shoot./832


                   Julie

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Much easier with a real digi camera, I'm sure, but I still triumphed!!

-Rach

http://journals.aol.com/sangriablue3151/waiting-on-the-world-to-change../entries/2006/08/21/up-close-and-personal.../478

Anonymous said...

Nice choice, substitute John.  :o)

This was a lot of fun.

http://parkhopper.blogspot.com/2006/08/mirror-mirror-on-wall.html

Jamilyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe :)

Here is my Monday Photo Shoot assignment. Fun choice of topics! :) Have a good week!

Always, Carly :)

Ellipsis...Suddenly Carly
http://ellipsissuddenlycarly.blogspot.com/2006/08/your-monday-photo-shoot-my-camera-and.html

Anonymous said...

Don't have a heart attack or anything, but I posted this to AOL.  And my semi-tribute to AOL is on Blogspot.  Is that wrong? - Karen
http://journals.aol.com/mavarin/MusingsfromMavarin/entries/2006/08/22/silly-self-portraits/2237

Anonymous said...

Here you go..  I LOVE my camera.  Taking pictures is a great way of "seeing" from different points of view.

Sorry to have missed the anniversary chat.  

http://journals.aol.com/benu4444/CreativityBitsandPieces/entries/2006/08/22/todays-photo-shoot-challenge/1251

Anonymous said...

Here's my entry..

http://journals.aol.com/deslily/HereThereandEverywhere/#Entry1997

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/entries/2006/08/22/monday-photo-shoot/2065
-Paul

Anonymous said...

Hi, I enjoyed this assignment. here's my entry. B.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/oddb0dkins/WaffleandWhinge/

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I am also late in the game here but here is my link Joe:

http://journals.aol.com/oxobagladyoxo/TheBagLady/entries/2006/08/24/magic-joes-photo-shoot-my-camera--me/528

Hugs,
Chelle

Anonymous said...

great job Joe! hugs,natalie