Friday, August 18, 2006

Journals Editor Joe's Third Anniversary Blog Picks for 8/18/06

Hi folks -- as you can see, I'm doing this week's Editors Blog Picks, but it's going to be short, sweet and straightforward (well, maybe not so short), because it's not about me -- it's about all of you -- specifically, what you're doing to celebrate the AOL Journals Third Anniversary, which happens on Monday, August 21.

As I've been saying all along, the great anniversary activities are coming directly from you folks, so I'm just trying to stay out of the way, provide an anniversary graphic or two, and promote what you're doing as I can.

Now, I'm going to be pointing out six or so of your Journal entries and Journals that you've set up for the Anniversary festivities; I know a lot of you are participating, and I can't link to you all, though if you use the tag, it's an easy way for people to find your Anniversary content. (See how to add the anniversary tag to your blog entries.)

With that said, here are some of the movers and the shakers behind the Third Anniversary:

Dianna, Donna, Betty and Andi of the Journals Anniversary Committee
Pictured here: Dianna, Donna, Betty & Sugar. Or at least, 49-pixel wide slices of them.

* First off, Journaler Vivian is maintaining the 3rd Anniversary - AOL Journals blog, so it's a great place to stop by and see everything that's going on.

(On a side note, I was just looking at Vivian's public Journals list page -- she's got 20 Journals. I'm not sure, but that could be some kind of record.)

* Journaler Sugar has set up a Memorial for the Beloved Pets of J-Land, for people to remember the pets that they've lost over the past 3 years.

* Speaking of loss, Journaler Dianna at Dianna's Mindless Musings has blogged a memorial to Journaler Pamela, who passed away this year.

* Over at It's Raining Photos, Journaler Steven has put up a bunch of anniversary-related albums, using AOL Pictures, Woohoo, Flickr and every other means at his disposal (and also managing to fit in a CSS Float Tutorial and more).

* Donna over at This, That and Hockey is managing a contest to caption the lighthouse graphic that they've put together to celebrate the anniversary.

* Betty of My Day, My Interests Photoblog will be helping to host the Journals Anniversary AOL Chat, Sunday, 8/20 at 8PM ET. (Stevie will be hosting a chat for UK Journalers, also Sunday, 8/20 at 8PM GMT -- this is the same Stevie who did the great J-Land 3-Year Tribute Video, check it out).

That's 6 Journals already (well, 7), and I still haven't even scratched the surface of what's going on:

* As I mentioned previously, Andi of She Said WHAT? will be managing the red carpet on Sunday.

* Krissy of Sometimes I Think has an activity planned for Monday where you do an entry on the theme, "My Past Year in J-Land."

* Shelly over at XX Roxy Mama XX is working on her Memorial Quilt.

And of course, lots and lots of people are posting the outfits they're going to be "wearing" for the gala event on Sunday.

Apologies to anyone I've left out -- as I said, the best way for you to keep up with what's going on with people's Journals for the Anniversary activities is to see Vivian's 3rd Anniversary - AOL Journals blog, and keep tagging your entries so that other people can find them easily.

I have to finish and post this entry, after which I will post the picks to the Journals Main Page and in the Journals Message Board (the new Message Boards are having problems with embedded URLs, though, so keep that in mind) and the Editor's Picks Alert.

As always, please leave a comment in the Journals or blogs that you read. Also, don't forget, if you want your own chance at being a Guest Editor, send me an e-mail at JournalsEditor@aol.com.  (Please include a link to your blog.)

Also, if you have an anniversary activity you're doing, feel free to leave a link in the comments below (be sure you tell Vivian, too).

Have a great weekend.

Thanks -- Joe


Tag: ,

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your doing a great job keeping up the posting to alert everyone of all that is going on . THANK JOE!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe!  

Hope you can make it!


Andi

Anonymous said...

Joe thank you very much!!
Betty

Anonymous said...

Did I mention that you rock? :-)

Anonymous said...

TY Joe. Appreciate it.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe and thank you. Also, Steve (UK) aka stevietwain put together an awsome video. You'll all love it!!! The vid features JLander pix and some awesome music. He worked so hard and I'm leaving a link so everyone can see it:-)~

Dianna

http://journals.aol.co.uk/stevietwain/ThelifeofSte/entries/2006/08/13/jland-3-year-tribute-video/1205

Anonymous said...

Sure, there are twenty journals on that list, but sixteen of them haven't been updated during the 2006 calendar year, and eight of them haven't been updated since 2004. Viv, honey, y'all need to do some housekeeping, I think.

;)
-Paul

Anonymous said...

Oh Paul...you hush....some of those journals were created for specific purposes and are part of history which can't be changed....like the 1st anniversary, the first J-Land awards, my appearance on the wheel of Fortune, the 2nd anniversary, the 2nd J-Land awards. And Joe doesn't know about my 5 test journals which are private...they are updated multiple times daily, so that's enough updates to incorporate even YOUR journals Sir Paul! :)  So put that in your Aurora and walk it!  LOL

Vivian

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe, for your picks!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

GREAT job!!    Thanks a million.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Awesome picks for us, Joe!  I will be on vacation but you all have fun!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Awesome picks for us, Joe!  I will be on vacation but you all have fun!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Thank you Joe for all of the promos. I forgot to thank you earlier when I left the previous comment in response to Paul's critique of my cyber-housekeeping skills. But he probably doesn't know that in the real world someone does my housekeeping for me (how else would I have ever had enough time to create over 20 journals in the past 36 months)..but unfortunately my housekeeper's skills employ mops, brooms, dusters and a variety of cleaners...and unfortunately she doesn't have any computer skills..so I guess all of my 'bytes' will just have permanent residence here in cyberspace LOL  :)

Seriously...thanks for helping get the word out about the anniversary activities!

Vivian

Anonymous said...

I have had a look at Stevie's video. It is fabulous!!!
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for helping us get the word out there.
Come join the chat with us Sunday.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Good job Joe. Oh and some of the images in some journals are missing! I mean they have the red X there. They were fine this morning. Help? <whimper> Tammy

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
Can you tell me how to get more involved in this whole blog thing?  I read what you have to say an it does sound like a lots going on.  I do have my journal "Latte Dah" and would like to participate more, but it seems as if everyone already knows the rules of the blogging game.  Am I too late in the game?  Could you get me more involved somehow?  

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Wow, didn't even know I was a pick until right now. lol  I am so out of the loop.  Thanks Joe for all you are doing for everyone!  Hugs and GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

Tammy -- if this is still happening, please let me know, and please provide some specific examples for me to look at.

Thanks - Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

MrsM711 -- sounds like you're already involved in stuff, and you look like you've got the hang of blogging pretty good so far. Just keep participating in activities and check out other people's blogs and interact with other bloggers.

Also, I see you're having an issue with your All About Me photo not showing up -- you need to upload it from your computer in order for the rest of us to see it. Here's my tutorial on how to do that: http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/934

Lastly, If you haven't already, you might like to introduce yourself and your blog on the Journals Message Board:
http://boards.aol.com/aol/artlist.mbl?boardId=534372

Thanks -- Joe (posted & mailed)

Anonymous said...

Joe~Good job on coveing the events! Sassy ;-)