Monday, August 14, 2006

Blogging Anniversaries

Hi folks -- hope you had a good weekend. It being Monday, we are now a week out from the AOL Journals 3-Year Anniversary (August 21, 2003), so expect to see more blog entries (in my, Jeff's and John's blogs), AOL Journals main page promos and maybe even a few mentions on the People Connection main page, all showing off what you folks are doing to highlight the historic date.

The easiest way to see the first entry in any particular Journal is to click "View Archives" in the header, then hit the link "First Entry in This Journal":

First Entry in Your AOL Journal

In my case, my Magic Smoke anniversary entry is May 13, 2005, which makes me a relative newbie among Journalers at just over a year.

However, for those who remember, I also started the Expressions Factory blog, back on July 27, 2004.

Personally, I've had a blog in some form or another since Sept. 2003, though a lot of that was just playing around with testing different blogging platforms -- I didn't really start blogging for real (updating on a regular basis) until January, 2004.

Of course, blogfather John makes blogging noobs of us all; he started blogging September 13, 1998.

I wasn't sure that he wasn't pulling my leg, or that there even were blogs then (though Wikipedia says blogs date back to 1994), but both John's book jackets and Wikipedia entry confirm it. (And you know, no sketchy info has
ever made it into book jackets or Wikipedia.)

So, from now on, in honor of that, and playing off one of his book titles, I will be calling  John "Old Man Scalzi."

Anyway, to bring this all back around to you folks, check out some of the entries tagged with "AOL Journals Anniversary" (find out how to tag your own entries, plus grab the anniversary badge in my earlier entry about the anniversary). Remember, you don't have to have been around since the beginning in order to participate in the festivities.

Also, if you were Journaling in 2003, I'd like to feature some of your photos and blogs -- if you're interested in being featured, send me an e-mail with a photo and I will get back to you with a photo release and all that good stuff.

Thanks -- Joe

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatcha wearing to the party Joe? Oh...me and my friends will be arriving to the party in a PINK HUMMER...we might have one more seat open for you Joe.  ;)

Robin

http://journals.aol.com/robinngabster/Thesearethedaysofourlives/entries/2006/08/14/glitz-glitter-glamour-and-cleavage/1736

Anonymous said...

yeah Joe this all good adn very informative but what J LAND WANTS TO KNOW IS WHAT IS JOE WEARING TO THE CELEBRATION??????????

Anonymous said...

Joe, just wanted to let you know about an event for the AOL Journals 3-Year Anniv that I introduced in my journal for others to participate in on Aug. 21.  It's called "My Past Year in J-Land".  Take a look:

http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink/entries/2006/08/13/announcing-a-j-land-activity-my-past-year-in-j-land/1133

Thanks for everything, Krissy :)

Anonymous said...

You'd be surprised how hard it is to get sketchy info into Wikipedia.  People put nonsense in, but other people usually take it out less than five minutes later.  Even good info is often taken out if someone finds it objectionable or unnecessary.
Karen (frustrated Wikipedian)

Anonymous said...

We really do deserve a party. Spend a little of that Bad Anner money on the Journalistas

I think I started in 2004, so I'm out of this one. I may have won the first blog contest though, and deserve to be mentioned in any discussion of Blog History. In fact, if the right people worked for AOL, you'd have already hacked a reference to this fact into that Wikipedia entry.

AOL obviously has the corporate/techno types working there... but you need at least one person on your staff who has won a student council election through slander and vote-fixing.

It's only a matter of time before the Other Guys get someone like that on their payroll, and they'll go through you people like s*** through a goose.

Don't worry, though.... there'll always be a place for a good guy like Joe at my company.

Anonymous said...

No celebration of AOL Journals would be complete without making reference to some of the pioneers, like Pamela Hilger, for example.
-Paul