Thursday, August 31, 2006

Make a Bling Ring Out of a Dollar Bill (Plus, the AOL Pictures Beta)

Okay, so one more entry tonight. This one has pictures, in counterpoint to my two previous text-only posts. It's also kind of fun.

Back in December, I blogged about how you can fold a dollar bill into a shirt (complete with collar and sleeves).

You can find the complete instructions on the Money Origami site by Clay Randall; in addition to shirts, you can do a bunch of other designs.

This time around, I focused on rings:

Journals Editor Joe wears origami rings.
They're pretty easy to make once you figure out how big the loop has to be to fit your fingers. Note how a few are a little sloppier than the others.

Journals Editor Jeff suggests calling them "Bling Rings", but I'm not sure -- they aren't really sparkly. Maybe if you use a fifty or a hundy.

With singles, the "one" centers pretty well; I'm not sure how the redesigned bills line up (though they'll still fold the same way, of course).

Journals Editor Joe and his Five Dollar Fist of Fury.
Make me mad, and this is the last thing you'll see -- the Five Dollar Fist of Fury.

Journals Editor Joe and his money rings.
Momma said knock you out.

Like I said, check out the Money Origami site for full instructions on how to make the ring and other cool things.

Next up: Maybe the spider? I'm not sure, it involves five separate bills. We'll have to see about that.

On a photo note, I uploaded the pictures to the AOL Pictures Beta, which is the test site for AOL's social photo sharing service. After uploading the photos to the AOL Pictures Beta, I used the photo's permalink address to put it in my blog.

(I need to talk more in-depth about the AOL Pictures Beta, but I have to use it more first.)

Click on any of the photos above to see how the individual photo pages look (including the tagging), or see all of my public gallery pics (it's only these three pics so far).

Thanks -- Joe

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a challenge for you Joe :). How about a little decorative towel folding :)....I want to see your photos!!!!
Betty
http://journals.aol.com/hhdecor2/HomeLifeDecoratingBlog/entries/2005/05/31/decorative-towel-folding-and-directions/116

Anonymous said...

Sorry, all my towels are paper. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Pretty neat Joe, I have seen the bow tie made but not the ring. Helen

Anonymous said...

HUn you must have been really bored last night! LOL

Anonymous said...

Absolutely COOL! I was born in Japan and even my Grandfather didn't teach me that one! Your talent is great. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

magic smoke
I spent about 1 hour trying to make the bling ring. If i
mail you a dollar will you make me one then i will
take it apart and learn. This is how i learned how
to make the hats worn by the pressman on the
newspapers. Not allowed to use tape. ( I worked in
the printing industry). Also learned to make the
hangmans noose this way.
                                                              Ralph
                                                                Printernj@aol.com  

Anonymous said...

Ralph -- sorry, they say that you shouldn't send cash in the mail.

Suggest you keep trying -- the only tricky part that I hit is finding the right length to make the 90 degree-fold. Oh, and tucking in the last bit at the end. Thanks -- Joe

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! kewl rings, but I have one of my own. still love em.
LOL (lots of love and laugh out loud!)
me

Anonymous said...

Hey, that ring is awesome... I so am gonna make one....lol
luv it!

Anonymous said...

okay, domeone needs to find a new hobby
you need to find something better to do in your time

Anonymous said...

dude that is sad.

Anonymous said...

I think most people will agree with me that the rings are FRICKEN' AWESOME. -- Joe