Thursday, August 10, 2006

Liquid Terror? (Don't Panic!)

Hi folks -- so, as you might guess, the media (both old and new) and the big ole sphere o' blogs are buzzing about today's arrests in Britain, disrupting a terror plot to blow up US-bound airliners.

According to reports, the plotters planned on using liquid explosives in their carry-on luggage, with detonators disguised as common electronic devices (like the ubiquitous iPod).

As a countermeasure, British authorities are not allowing any carry-on luggage, except for barest essentials like passports and wallets, in clear plastic bags.

Here, the TSA has banned liquids and gels (except for essential medicines and baby beverages -- juice, breast milk or formula) from carry-on luggage:

Journals Editor Joe Is Not Holding a Bomb
This is not a bomb component. Or is it?

Now, at first, I was going to play this entry completely straight and serious. I was going to link to blog search results on Technorati (Heathrow and "bomb plot") and Sphere (Airline Plot) so you could see what other bloggers are writing about.

I think the first indication I was starting to lose it was running down the list of banned liquid and gel-like substances, which from news stories and my inferences include:
Bug spray, perfume, hot sauce, souvenir maple syrups, wine, toothpaste, bottled water, shampoo, conditioner, shampoo with conditioner, hair gel, contact lens solution, sunscreen, condiments, lip balm, pomades, clear deodorants, self-tanners, distilled spirits (both brown and clear), body glitter, blood and blood-products, salsa (including picante sauce), pre-treat stain sticks, correction fluid, personal lubricants, milkshakes (even ones that don't bring all the boys to the yard), spreadable butter, tooth bleaching kits and human or animal fat.
Yeah, I'm definitely starting to lose it.

(Random thought: Instead of throwing out all those banned fluids and gel-like substances, maybe they could have a big bin outside the sterile areas -- people on departing flights could drop off stuff, and people on arriving flights could sort through and take what they needed. It'd be like a big take-a-penny/leave-a-penny tray. I hear some people do this with baby strollers in airport lost-and-found offices.)

Folks, I am not making light of the threat of terrorism or the victims of terrorist attacks. It's a very serious thing -- American Flight 77, which hit the Pentagon on 9/11, left from Dulles Airport, which is right down the road from where I sit right now, and you might recall the series of Dulles-to-Heathrow British Airways flights that kept getting cancelled in 2004 because of terrorism fears. I think about it every day when I see the signs to the airport.

However, you have to remember, that as scary as it is, the threat of actually getting killed in a terrorist attack is exceedingly rare, in comparison to mundane, everyday ways of dying -- getting in a car accident, falling in the bathtub, or even getting hit by lightning.

Earlier in the week, BoingBoing had some commentary inspired by a white-paper done for the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank.

In the paper, "A False Sense of Insecurity?" [PDF download] -- which no-one's going to read because it's dry and analytical and annoying because people don't like being told we're irrational about what we're afraid of (even if we are) -- researcher John Mueller argues that the true threat of terrorism lies not in the damage that attacks cause, but the immense overreaction and diversion of resources to combat the perceived threat:
"Even with the September 11 attacks included in the count, the number of Americans killed by international terrorism since the late 1960s (which is when the State Dpeartment began counting) is about the same as the number of Americans killed over the same period by lightning, accident-causing deer, or severe allergic reaction to peanuts."
To really boil it down, it's a variation of "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

Like I said, it's an annoying argument that only economists and risk-management types use, so it never really gets any traction, because people are afraid of whatever it is they're afraid of, and rationality always takes a back seat to emotion with these sorts of things.

For example, I like to think that I'm a pretty rational guy -- during the DC-area sniper shootings, I knew that I had a better chance of winning the lottery than getting shot by the sniper (and I don't even play the lottery), but you still saw me stutter-stepping through the parking lot.

Anyway, I think the author of the study realizes it's kind of a quixotic cause, so he takes a step back and just asks that every once in a while, we stop to take a look at the actual risks and not run around like chickens with our heads cut off (or Chicken Little, for that matter) when it comes to the threat of terrorism.

For my part, if I don't publish pictures of myself looking as dorky as possible (see above), then the terrorists have won.

If you think I'm completely off-base or whatever, please let me know in the comments or in your own blogs.

Thanks -- Joe


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Regarding the ban of carrying "human or animal fat" I have two questions...
a) does it count if it is attached to a person/animal?
b) who carries these items if they are not attached?

I don't blame you for loosing it after reading that list!

http://journals.aol.com/francisabq/sixofclubs/  

Anonymous said...

Francis -- I was thinking along the lines of liposuction souvenirs. (I told you I was pretty far gone by then.)

I guess lard or other animal byproducts would also count. Which is a shame, because it's the only way to really get those nice, flaky crusts and biscuits. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

Once again I have pulled myself away from the TV because of this news.  It is so depressing.  And I don't even fly.
Was wondering though.  Britian won't let cell phones or lap tops as carry ons.  What about the folks that show up and didn't know about the new rules.  They aren't going to just throw the cell phone into a bin.  
And baby "beverages" could hide explosives.......
I'm getting way too serious here.  Hit delete if the mood strikes ya.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Joe, you sound pretty rational to me!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

i agree with you stay calm and don't panic. whats next naked flying???? LOL

Deb

Anonymous said...

Well, if you've lost a family member to terrorist activities - then  I can understand your position  -  I haven't, but have worked in police department for 12 years and have seen the victims of  senseless killings and their families -  just being in wrong place at wrong time =  an airliner full of people  - how many families would be touched, well over l00  I'm sure.  If you haven't walked in 'their' shoes,  talk with them and maybe you'll be glad for safety features.  PErsonally, people that think the security measures are too extreme - let them ride on a plane that has no screened passengers  - if they can find a pilot -  heck, get on a small private plane and then you'll not have to go through all the safety nets.

Anonymous said...

The next time I fly anywhere beyond a Quebec/Florida/Chicago axis, I will be piloting a B-52.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, though... scan everyone for explosives, let them bring whatever they want on board.... and, at the back of each section on the flight, station a big Marine with a recoiless rifle.

Anonymous said...

One thing which truly chaps my hide is that I heard it would cost 6 billion to develop and incorporate technology designed to detect and identify liquid explosives, but our government says no to that while turning around and giving 8 billion to the oil companies.  

Hooray greed!

-Dan    

Anonymous said...

That Body glitter's a dangerous thing. Better watch out for the body-glittered up, bloody terrorists drinking milkshakes! I hear there are some crazy ninja terrorists out there. Public be warned of a pre-teen with lip balm.